Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Re: 10/25 UB hand

Against an unknown, I'll vote for check/call the turn, and check/decide the river. If he checks behind the turn, I'll go for a check/call on the river, unless the flush gets there in which case it's check/fold.

I think we're ahead here. The less money that goes in, the more likely we are ahead. Villian is not likely to call a bet with AT, but he may very well make another bet AND let us see a cheap showdown. If he has a draw or runs a straight bluff here, and bets it twice, I'm gonna let him off.

If someone wanted to check/raise all in a $500-$650 bet on the turn, I'm not going to argue.

Overall I don't want to invest more than $1000 to see a showdown (unless a check raise all in can make some better hands fold), so it's likely call one bet fold to two. If he bets the turn and river small enough I'll look him up.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against an unknown, I'll vote for check/call the turn, and check/decide the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

From my own experience, this is a sure-fire way to get run over at 10/20 and above.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:46 PM

given your flop action, you could bet pot on the turn (after all you'd play TT just like that, right?) and fold to a raise (if he's semi-bluffing on this board, give him props and chop him off eventually)....you could also check turn/river and see if you can pick him off, but that'll require making some real good reads if he pots both streets, and I don't know if you have much of a read since you said he's unknown.....

FWIW, I might've checked the flop......
Old 07-31-2005, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I might've checked the flop......

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding. As soon as he called the flop bet, I thought I should have checked the flop.

I bet $500 and folded to a push. I think $650 would have been a better number, though.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against an unknown, I'll vote for check/call the turn, and check/decide the river...
Overall I don't want to invest more than $1000 to see a showdown (unless a check raise all in can make some better hands fold), so it's likely call one bet fold to two. If he bets the turn and river small enough I'll look him up.

[/ QUOTE ]
An alternative line to this one is to just cut the guy a check for however much he feels like bettng on the turn. Out of position I only check this turn with the intention of calling the river.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ding. As soon as he called the flop bet, I thought I should have checked the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you check the flop, what's your plan then? It seems like it would be equally difficult to play this hand.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:52 PM

I bet 600 here. And will probably fold if he comes over the top. Checking is to weak here and its very possible you are ahead right now. Villian may have high card flush draw. I like 600 here and a fold to a reraose. You cant check here, its giving away the pot....
Old 08-01-2005, 12:43 AM

Check-call and try to keep the pot small to the river.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:44 AM

check on the flop and since you didnt check on the turn.
that flop is not one to get broke to.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:47 AM

I have a clear plan if I was in position this hand, which would be to bet the turn and check the river through. You gotta bet the turn vs most opponents who wont cr with a draw, because that is where you get your value bet in, not the river... An opponent is also much more likely to call a nice bet on the turn then the river, where there are a bunch of cards that may hurt your action.

Out of position, this is obviously more tricky, but I think you should check the turn and go from there. Charging your opponent for a draw is less important because an opponent is far more likely to raise here with hands you beat (and you'll probably have to fold to this raise), and keeping the pot small will allow you to see showdown much more frequently. OOP its much harder to control the method to which you see showdown, so I put a priority on getting there (vs most opponents) cheaply rather than extracting the most value out of a pretty tough hand to extract a lot of value with out of position.

I probably check call the turn and block the river. Its probably not the optimal line but I feel like if I bet the turn or check the river my opponent will be able to cause me to fold the best hand far too often (or make other mistakes).

-Jason