Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-08-2004, 11:31 AM

Default Favorite sng threads

I have just lost 11 sngs in a row. Not good, so I cracked open a beer and reread this thread.

This was a massive influence on my game and I have read stuff in it today which I missed the first time round.

There was a favorite threads post in one of the other forums where people have linked to threads which have really helped their game, it is obviously limit ring game biased. It would be nice to have one for sngs so that when I have another bad run (I might still be in this one) I can go through them and start rebuilding my game. If it would be a help for me then hopfully it may be for other people too. There's some great stuff in the FAQ but I suspect that there's some amazing stuff back in the archives that most people have forgotten about. Anyone wanna help out?

Edit to try to sort link out. It works on the preview page but not here [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2004, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Favorite sng threads

First, please fix that link [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

A post (albet not on this site) that I found intersting was the following:

link.

Gave me a new perspective on Party vs. PStars, also helped me realize how utterly poorly I usually play the turn. Hopefully it'll kick my ROI up a bit more.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:56 PM

I disagree with so many aspects of that article. A lot of it is flat out.... bad advice.

So I am not just criticizing without giving examples...

On his section of river play, he is basically advising to never make value bets, and to also fold when pot odds would demand a call. Hated that section altogether, very weak advice.

Flop play.... even worse. He reccomends NEVER bluffing on the flop, but often on the turn, with multiple players in. He actually says the turn bet shows power. I can say that in general when you check the flop and a non scary card comes on the turn, players are a lot more willing to call with crap then they would have been on the flop.

I think his advice is not good general advice, but good for a player who really has a system that knows how to use it. If the learning player uses his advice in a lot of those sections I think they are getting off on the wrong foot.

Sorry, just had to say that, that article had very bad advice.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:03 PM

From the article:

[ QUOTE ]
The escalating blinds really even the field between the good and the average player.

[/ QUOTE ]

No they dont at least not nearly as much as people seem to think, you just need to adjust to the structure.

edit: adition this is the worst SnG article ever. Two pices of advice back to back as follows

[ QUOTE ]
You should never, ever go all-in with a playable stack unless you know with 99% certainty you have the best hand. Never.

Limp a Lot

[/ QUOTE ]

awful awful awful
Old 11-08-2004, 02:25 PM

Yeah, this is not the best advice out there. To summarize:

Play passively and never risk your stack but limp a lot and hope for small pots.

Yikes.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:36 PM

Im glad I wasnt the only one who thought this article was a peice of crap. It is almost a 'what not to do' article.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:12 PM

Since this comes up about every month or so...

I'd like to make a point as the original author of that advice...first, it's a bit dated. In a few posts since then and some back and forth with other bloggers, I made some changes, some of which I took the time to write about and others I didn't. Many of the problems are covered in the comments. Particularly flop play and river play, and the 1-4-4-4 thing. Words like "always" and "never".

Please note that the main thrust of the article was to get people to avoid situations that were troublesome for them, not as an all-encompassing guide to SNG's. Many people starting out in SNG's make mistakes in big pots early on that cripple them. This was designed to keep people in a comfort zone and make for easier and fewer decisions. While deficient in some areas, you will win at low-buy-ins with that. The 43% ROI was true.

I also want to stress that it's typically bad etiquette for bloggers to go back and revise posts after the fact. State corrections and move on. If you read later posts, you'd see that was usually done or opinions softened.

That said, you're not beating $50+ SNG's playing like that. I'm completely aware of this. But, I can also say that the traditional style put forth in the 2+2 guide among others is occasionally deficient in situations unique to lower buy-ins.

Different strokes for different folks.

All in all, remember I just have a humble blog with 60 visitors daily. Yet, I've seen this linked by several other poker bloggers and it's making at least its second appearance here. Some people like it. It worked for me for a while, but I've evolved since then.

My advice now? Start with the 2+2 guide (most thorough), but keep an open mind. It never hurts.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:12 PM

For the record I think that the advice is much better suited for a structure like Stars where it is easier to limp early and try to flop big hands, and the deeper stacks give you the luxury of getting away from hands more easily.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:18 PM

Certainly if people PM me links to articles that they think should be added to the FAQ then I will add them (so long as it is not total BS [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]).

Tim