Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 10-28-2005, 10:46 AM

Default 2/4 AKo UTG: Bet this river with 2 pair?

Villain (MP3) is 58/8,86/1,4 so very loose
Hero is UTG with [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K

Hero raise, folds to villain who coldcalls, rest folds.
Flop [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A

Hero bet, villain calls
Turn [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J

hero bet, villain calls
River [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3
Hero bet, villain raise, hero calls

Even though the river completes a flushdraw I still think I need to bet out against this player? And I believe calling his raise is mandatory, but what sort of hands would he raise with, that I beat?
Old 10-28-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Re: 2/4 AKo UTG: Bet this river with 2 pair?

i'm not entirely sure because my first thought is "the hand is played fine".

the question that keeps popping in my head is: how much value do we miss/lose by not betting this river? because i really don't think much is lost if we check/call here. would a King hold on this long? a lone Q for the straight draw? basically we're betting this river either hoping he's been calling down with a pocket pair or A/KQ or weaker Ace.

so i think i'm to the point where i'd check/call simply because i don't think i lose much value as much as the times he has A/K/QJ or a flush and i have to pay it off "just in case".
Old 10-28-2005, 11:44 AM

Yes, the number of hands that he may call with that I actually beat is very limited.
If I bet out, I'll lose two BB when behind, and only rarely gain one when ahead. By checking I also allow him to make a bluff at the pot.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:36 PM

I think I bet the river here HU against a complete donk villain (at 2/4 level at least). People with the PT stats you gave at this level will often call through with pretty trashy hands and TP any kicker.

There will be times where you'll get raised behind and shown a rivered flush or a slowplayed set or straight, but value betting against loose donks is a must.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:33 PM

I like absolute's reasoning for the check/call line.

FWIW, I've seen Party 2/4 LP's with A3 raise this river thinking "I got 2-pair!", or with ridiculous bluffs, and since I need to pay off just in case I think the c/c makes sense.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
would a King hold on this long?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Villain (MP3) is 58/8,86/1,4 so very loose

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely.

IMO against this type of Villain you'll be shown down PPs or weak pairs very often when you bet. I see good amount of value in a river bet.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:40 PM

I think this is a no brainer value bet. Remember the whole point of value betting. He WILL call you with more hands that you beat if you bet. If you check he won't bet as many hands that you beat so you are probably making a mistake by check/calling. Calling the raise could be argues but I think it's ok given the board and his aggression factor. Pay off his flush.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:23 PM

it is possible, but how much value do you lose when you're behind and how much do you gain when ahead is my question. i'm a simple guy not a math/tech guy, so for my flintstonian-self:

- you lose 1bb when you check and he checks behind a worse hand that would have paid off (30%).

- you lose 0bb when you check and he checks behind a hand that wouldn't pay off (30%).

- you lose 2BBs when up against trips Jacks (5%)
- you lose 2BBs when up against AJ (5%)
- you lose 2BBs when up against KJ (5%)
- you lose 2BBs when up against a flush (15%)
- you win 1BB when up against an Ace (or other hand) that bluffs at this river (8%).

- you win 2BBs when he completely bluffs (2%)

obviously rough numbers but i don't think they're horrible (like i said i'm not a math guy) but seems you look to lose a lot more than gain. feel free to adjust as you see fit i guess.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:27 PM

Bet this river every time. Call the bet every time. With this opponennt, you will be show K3 or A3 or someother two pair worse than yours a reasonable amount of the time.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:37 PM

OK I think that analysis sucks. This is what makes value betting correct: So say you are ahead 60% of the time that you bet and he calls. Say he is folding 20% of the time and has the flush or J (or some other wierd monster) 20% of the time. You are winning one bet 60 times and lossing two bets 20 times for a net gain of 20 bets. If you check and he bets with a J or flush you are losing 40 bets if he only bets these hands. I dont think he will be betting a worse hand than yours more than 60% which is what you need in order to make a check call correct. Sorry for being so long winded all I'm saying is VALUE BET. I don't know the exact numbers but they are close I'm sure. Value betting is the bread and butter of 2/4 against these idiots.