Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Can a brotha get some love? How about help?

Okay, so some of you may have noticed that I haven't posted here in a while. I have been on the low end of variance, which I am alright with, and have not felt like a very good player lately (I know, what a fragile ego). Anyways, the variance/not winning isn't what bothers me. It is that I have been frustrated playing and angry at the bad players at the table a lot lately, which is very, very unlike me. I haven't felt tilty in a long time before the last week, and it is bothering me that I am feeling like this, and for the first time ever I am feeling like it is affecting my game.

Can someone give me some ideas for how to avoid this? Should I multi-table more? Less? Should I just balls up and quit being a pansy? Any and all advice, no matter how harsh, will be much appreciated. Sometimes I think I just need a kick in the junk to get my mind back on track.

Thanks guys (and gals, though I'm not sure who the ladies are on this forum).

-Trail

Oh, and yes, I do realize the link between the Party blind changes and the timing of this situation, so we don't really need to point out adjusting to that, playing differently, etc., as I already have made that connection and think it plays little to no part in this. Thanks though.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Can a brotha get some love? How about help?

Take some time off. Don't even think about poker for a few days.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:43 PM

I have a similar problem. Whenever I am not really into it, I just play awful. I'm taking some time off right now, and I suggest you do, too.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Take some time off. Don't even think about poker for a few days.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-09-2005, 06:57 PM

One issue I am finding when I multi-table on Party (somewhat on auto-pilot) is that the players with a brain (believe or not, there are some) pick up on my aggressive style and start check-raising me a lot, which creates a big leak. This makes it very hard for me to multi-table because I now have to beware of many more things, especially when still thinking about a bad beat I just took. Just a thought as to maybe this contributes to your losses.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:14 PM

When I tilt it usually takes two forms:
a)I disrespect the play of my opponents
b)I bluff too much (these idiots can't call my bets, right?)

So what helps me is to actually state out loud to myself what hands I put my opponents on (because when I think they are idiots, obviously they must have crap, right?) and then I also NEVER bluff. I play like that until I get back on track. It has worked for me. Thinking my opponents are all complete idiots who can't possibly beat me is always the predecessor to dropping several buy-ins for me.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:25 PM

This seems to be the best description of my play right now. I appreciate the ideas, Worst, and I also make my best effort at not bluffing. Sometimes I suffer from FPS, which is a result of #1 and results in #2.

One question I have is should I tighten up? I have always considered changing my play style in either direction to be tilting, but I think it could help cut down on the variance I am experiencing.

Thanks again.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:28 PM

So you guys don't think this is a "work through it" type of situation? I feel like it would be succombing to the tilt and that I would benefit if I could work through it.

Nevermind, I guess the whole point is "If it is too debilitating to overcome, then take a break. If it is something that you can control, then by all means control it."

Thanks guys for the responses.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whenever I am not really into it, I just play awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the most frustrating things for me. I need to learn to pack it in when I get this feeling, instead of trying to play despite not even enjoying playing.

-T
Old 03-09-2005, 07:32 PM

If you're able to, play some live. I would stay away from online poker if you're not into it though. Live poker is more fun and will keep your entertainment.