Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2004, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical situation

[ QUOTE ]
Thank god someone actually thought about this and didnt just say "i call, youre stupid!"

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that one person had to think about it before coming to the conclusion everyone else knew immediately does not make it a good question. Anyone who folds here is either a buffoon, or named Phil Helmuth (although, I guess he fits into the first category as well.)
Old 10-26-2004, 01:54 PM

It is NEVER correct to pass up a 2 to 1 chance to double up early in a tourney.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Knowing their hand does not matter, aces are the best possible starting hand. No winning player passes up an edge that is at least 75/25.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. They could have aces, making you 50-50. Still willing to gamble on a pot that's most likely split, but could bust/double either of you?

Not that I have any intention of ever playing the WSOP(*), but if I were hypothetically there, I'd let the first AA have the blinds and grumble for the rest of the week.

(*) It would be especially foolhardy, because I went to grad school with Chris Ferguson and we all know that the probability of two grad school pals winning the WSOP are truly infinitessimal :-). Cue "World According to Garp"
Old 10-26-2004, 02:40 PM

I call in this scenario. It's the WSOP. I play $30 online tourneys. I'm not giving up any strong edges.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:44 PM

Nobody said you're stupid. People are answering your question saying they would call, because calling here is absolutely the correct play.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not quite. They could have aces, making you 50-50. Still willing to gamble on a pot that's most likely split, but could bust/double either of you?

Not that I have any intention of ever playing the WSOP(*), but if I were hypothetically there, I'd let the first AA have the blinds and grumble for the rest of the week.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absurd. (Do you see why?).

--Casey
Old 10-26-2004, 02:56 PM

Default ..

Old 10-26-2004, 03:15 PM

I'd call...you're stupid. There, happy. Most were thinking it anyway.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:25 PM

Wow easy call, and the over used are you the best player crap would not apply here. I can't see even the best player, playing his very best, having a 2/1 edge on the field. Besides if he folded here I don't think you could consider him the best player. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2004, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are willing to take that risk for 10k chips in the first hour of play in a 5 day tourney? Am i just insane?

Maybe its just cause my BR is 1/4 of the buyin for that tourney.....

[/ QUOTE ]

See, that's the thing. If the money you spend to enter a tournament means so much to you that it's going to lead you to make sub-optimal decisions, you shouldn't be playing. You're going to make bad laydowns. You're going to play scared on the bubble because you "want to make your money back." The better approach is to forget about the entry fee as soon as you pay it. That money is gone. From here your goal is simply to maximize your win.

This call is an absolute no-brainer. A 65/35 edge is way too much for even the best player in the WSOP to pass up. If we were talking about your home game involving your crazy cousins who say "puppy-feet" instead of clubs, the answer might be different. The WSOP field is a bit tougher than that.

Variations on this question come up A LOT and the discussion is always instructive... instructive, that is, regarding the number of bad assumptions people make about poker. In one such thread I asked "if you pass on this hand, and just play solid poker with small pots, what is your chance to double up before you go bust?" Some people thought a top tournament pro would have a NINETY PERCENT chance to double up before they bust, using a conservative strategy. The only response I can offer to this crazy assumption is that no top tournament pro would agree.

Sklansky does talk about passing up a small edge if you are one of the best players in the field. None of us would be among the best players in the WSOP. More importantly, 65/35 is NOT A SMALL EDGE.

I do not want to hear one person respond by saying "but if you lose you're out." Resist the temptation!