Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Waay looser standards in 6-max than in full ring?

I've seen people do some stuff like, call down cold raised boards with bottom pair on AK5 flops. I see people call gutshot straight draws for pot and half-pot bets. What's up with this? There are some straights that I can never see coming and I lose my stack with top two. I join the loosest, highest avg pot size tables on pokerstars, and I've been thinking lately that this is a mistake. It's when every one of my raises gets called by 6Jo and 59o that I begin to think I'm being too predictable. I do mix up and vary my play, but yet I still get called... and when I hit top pair, I don't know where I'm at against a loose caller. What's the kind of style I should adopt in a 6-max enviroment? I see LAG as the most profitable style in 6-max. Does anyone agree?
Old 10-02-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Waay looser standards in 6-max than in full ring?

Don't play big pots with marginal holdings (TPTK, 2pr on a straight board, etc). If you pay off like a slot machine, which it sounds like you do, then of course people will pay a couple bucks for the gutshot if they're getting your whole stack if you hit.

Also, position is SUPER important. With position you can check behind on the river if the board gets scary, or you can build a big pot with your strong holdings much more easily.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:44 PM

Take a look at this
Old 10-02-2005, 05:50 PM

I kind of don't understand "don't play big pots..." I'm raising AQo PF every time, and if the pot gets too big and I have TPGK against a 63/20/3.0 I'm supposed to check/fold every time? I take a shot on the flop, yes... and maybe I get a little too carried away when they cold-call because I feel like they are chasing uhm... a pair.