Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2004, 01:30 PM

Default Mein Kampf

I heard a stat last night on history channel.

Next to the bible, Mein Kampf is the second biggest selling book of ALL TIME.

In case anyone doesn't know, Mein Kampf is the book Hitler wrote, basically outlining his personal philosophy, vision of Germany etc etc. I have not actually read it tho. I am sure it can he had in an english translation, if I so cared to look for it.

Does anyone else find this somewhat disturbing?

al
Old 01-11-2004, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Mein Kampf

I usually, but not always, find the most popular of any category(books, movies, music, food, fashion, etc.) disturbing or puzzling.

Old 01-11-2004, 01:45 PM

Well, the problems with the Bible come more from those who read it, rather than the author. The Problems with Mein kampf were caused more by the guy who wrote it than those who read it now. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Seriously though, WWII and the Holocaust and the postwar shakeout were such colossal historical events that it is not surprising a book written by Hitler sells. The vast majority of people who read it do so for historical purposes and to get a glimpse at the mind of Hitler. they don't admire him or wish to emulate him. The number of people who like the guy is comparatively small, although I am sure bigger than rational people would prefer.

I confess to not having read it myself, however. I see it in bookstores and such and have looked at it, but never read it. No particular reason for that tho.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:11 PM

I tried reading it one time for historical purposes (I'm a big WWII student) - but it was a rambling pain in the ass...

it's one of those books you want to buy with cash, if you do - I'm sure the govt. is tracking purchases of it...LOL

RB
Old 01-11-2004, 02:50 PM

I find it disturbing that people are disturbed by a book they haven't read.

The full text is available online. Here is one place.
http://www.mondopolitico.com/library...troduction.htm

Old 01-11-2004, 02:58 PM

Default try the turner diaries / WWII buffs

Buy this with your credit card. Then tomorrow, see guys in black suits with binoculars in a nice black van watching your house from across the street.

The documentary on Nazis in the US was quite disturbing. I recommend it to anyone and everyone. I liked that it covered Nazi-ism from its beginning, before WWII. It's a shame the swastica is forever tainted with the Nazi party's name, it was actually quite a cool thing before the Nazis.

I too am a WWII buff. Here's a link for you, one of my favorites... http://www.kbismarck.com/operheini.html

I often wish I had been in the WWII generation. Many say it was the "last generation of real men." I would have joined the 8th airforce, flown in B-17s, and quite possibly gotten my ass blown away.

al
Old 01-11-2004, 02:59 PM

I had always thought Dr. Spock's baby care book was #2.

Former U.S. Senator Alan Cranston, in some capacity working for our government before World War II, was responsible for getting Mein Kampf translated into English, wanting to alert the country to the dangers the author posed.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:12 PM

I am NOT disturbed by the book, in fact, I am somewhat tempted to purchase it after watching the program. Heck I read parts of "necronomicon," another "potentially disturbing" book, and it didn't change me (I'm gonna GET you TERRY, I'm casting a spell right now!). Oops I shouldn't have said that part out loud! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Anyway, I find it more disturbing that one of the most diabolical men in history is also the second best selling author of all time. Curiosity tho may eventually drive EVEN ME to purchase the book! Since I've already read the bible and not been very impressed*, perhaps something else is in order.

al

*if religious people throughout history had just followed the principles laid out in the bible, rather than interpreting it in their own politically minded manner, things would have probably gone a lot smoother in the middle ages
Old 01-11-2004, 03:50 PM

Sounds about right -- for the History Channel. Think first that there are no central statistics for the number of book bought in the world since the 1930's. Then think about the number everywhere who have purchased a copy of the Koran, Webster's Dictionary or even Charlotte's Web. Then consider how often you hear of people citing Mein Kampf (other than for hate speech or bad prose), giving it as gifts (Great Aunts ordering leather-bound editions for Christmas), debating nuances on TV, etc. Have you ever seen anyone without tatoos or with a full head of hair mention it favorably?

Old 01-11-2004, 07:39 PM

Default \"My Struggle\"

"If religious people throughout history had just followed the principles laid out in the Bible, rather than interpreting it in their own politically minded manner, things would have probably gone a lot smoother in the Middle Ages."

Actually, a literal adherance to the Bible would have us still reading no other books but psalms and pictures of the saints. We should be glad that the Holy Book was shoved aside at every opportunity --- in order to fornicate, study the skies and let the mind wander. (The Bible was used, though, as a source of excuses for invading other countries, killing their natives by the thousands and installing a friendly government over the backward bastards. It was hard work for the Court's priests, who had to come up with an appropriate passage from the Bible every time. We just invoke Freedom, nowdays.)

"I find it disturbing that one of the most diabolical men in history is also the second best selling author of all time."

Would that be Sidney Sheldon ?