Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Link to World Cup Draw information

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a quote from England:

[ QUOTE ]
"What would be the worst draw? Holland, Australia and the United States, I think," Eriksson said.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the US is the laughing stock still!

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps my sarcasm meter is broken, but Sven is saying here that he DOESN'T want to play the US in the first round. We may quite be up to "contenders to win the World Cup" level yet, but NO ONE is going to look past us to their next opponent anymore. Not with our #8 world ranking and a quarterfinal appearance in the last World Cup (which would have been at least a semifinal appearance if Hugh Dallas had seen the German defender handball the US equalizer off the line).

Well, maybe Brazil. They can still laugh at us. No one else is though.

--Scott
Old 12-09-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here's a quote from England:

[ QUOTE ]
"What would be the worst draw? Holland, Australia and the United States, I think," Eriksson said.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the US is the laughing stock still!

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps my sarcasm meter is broken, but Sven is saying here that he DOESN'T want to play the US in the first round. We may quite be up to "contenders to win the World Cup" level yet, but NO ONE is going to look past us to their next opponent anymore. Not with our #8 world ranking and a quarterfinal appearance in the last World Cup (which would have been at least a semifinal appearance if Hugh Dallas had seen the German defender handball the US equalizer off the line).

Well, maybe Brazil. They can still laugh at us. No one else is though.

--Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my point. But the loudmouth Aussie/Ukriane guy was stating that US was the laughing stock of the soccer world. Apparently that is not the case.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:03 PM

Just to clarify, is the actual draw at 2:15 PM ET? That's what I read, but on yahoo TV, it says that it will be on espn2 3-4 PM ET. Has anyone got a definite answer on this?
Old 12-09-2005, 01:08 PM

ESPN2's telecast definitely starts at 3 pm. Don't know why they'd broadcast it on delay, but I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility. I'm just going to play some 6-max until it starts anyway, and already have my TV tuned to the Deuce. This is always one of my favorite events to watch in sports.

Incidentally, please God, please God, please God, DON'T put us in a group with Brazil.

--Scott
Old 12-09-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ESPN2's telecast definitely starts at 3 pm. Don't know why they'd broadcast it on delay, but I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility. I'm just going to play some 6-max until it starts anyway, and already have my TV tuned to the Deuce. This is always one of my favorite events to watch in sports.

Incidentally, please God, please God, please God, DON'T put us in a group with Brazil.

--Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter *that* much if we get one really good team. Just make sure there are enough crappy teams from the other pots. Beat them and you are in the next round.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

--Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

I want Brazil. If we lose, its expected, big deal. If we get a tie, or god forbid a win, it would rule.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:41 PM

The big teams care more about the rest of the bracket instead of their own group, for instance Argentina prefers playing Spain or Mexico rather than germany or Brazil on a potential quarter-final.
This edition of the world cup lacks powerful african teams like Cameroon or Nigeria, so their isnt much death group potential like there was in 2002.
Also I think next year edition is mixed unlike the previous one( there were two world cup , one in japan and the other in south korea, check the brackets and u will know what im talking about.) so thats another reason why this draw isnt as important as it was on 2002.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This edition of the world cup lacks powerful african teams like Cameroon or Nigeria, so their isnt much death group potential like there was in 2002.
Also I think next year edition is mixed unlike the previous one( there were two world cup , one in japan and the other in south korea, check the brackets and u will know what im talking about.) so thats another reason why this draw isnt as important as it was on 2002.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about a Group like

England/Germany/Brazil, Holland, USA, Australia ???
Old 12-09-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't the sort of thing we U.S. fans should be praying for. It really doesn't matter which seeded team we end up against; we're not going to be favored. It's much more important that we avoid Holland, the Czech Rep., Sweden, and Portugal out of Pot 3.

-McGee
Old 12-09-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't the sort of thing we U.S. fans should be praying for. It really doesn't matter which seeded team we end up against; we're not going to be favored. It's much more important that we avoid Holland, the Czech Rep., Sweden, and Portugal out of Pot 3.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

yup