Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Fantasy help, it\'s the playoffs! $$-time

So far so good.

Palmer had 23 points, Roethlisberger had 26 points - neato, eh? Go Warner [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ravens D over Minny D was good - Ravens 28, Minny 15

I've played 3 players, and have 59 points (Gado - 14, Barber - 17, Ravens D 28)

He's played 5 players and has 58 points. Rudi was his big scorer with 21, Chad was held to 5.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This week and this week only, with these matchups, I think it's the right decision. I hope I'm right too [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck bro. I'll try one last time to talk you out of this decision. You know how fantasy analysts refer to certain players as "must-start, regardless of matchup"? Carson Palmer is this type of player. You cannot justify sitting the BEST QB in fantasy football this year in favor of Kurt Warner, can you? If it makes you feel better, Pitt's D hasn't been playing up to par the past couple of weeks either, and the Bengals will look to avenge their previous game against them. I'll come up with some more stuff if you're still with Warner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, tys

[/ QUOTE ]

Try not to pat yourself on the back just yet, Arizona has not finished playing their game. Additionally, you should have advised me to play Roethlisberger instead of Palmer because he had a better day. Why didn't you? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2005, 05:34 PM

If it makes you feel better, I played against Palmer, and sat Roethlisberger myself (didn't realize you had him.) However, if you do not see the point of the advice I was trying to give you, you will not succeed in FF.

Edit: Roethlisberger threw 3 picks, both QBs had 27 pts in my league
Old 12-04-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it makes you feel better, I played against Palmer, and sat Roethlisberger myself (didn't realize you had him.) However, if you do not see the point of the advice I was trying to give you, you will not succeed in FF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Our leagues obviously score differently. Case in point, my league only gives QB's 4 points for passing TD's - there are other assorted bonuses handed out elsewhere.

As for your advice: first, I've enjoyed a pretty good amount of success up to this point, but thanks for your concern - second, I appreciate(d) all the advice given in this thread, mentioned that several times in fact - however, because I didn't happen to go with your particular bit of advice....

Anyway good luck in your game this week.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for your advice: first, I've enjoyed a pretty good amount of success up to this point, but thanks for your concern - second, I appreciate(d) all the advice given in this thread, mentioned that several times in fact - however, because I didn't happen to go with your particular bit of advice....

Anyway good luck in your game this week.

[/ QUOTE ]

JTTH a fellow FF/2+2er. You obviously know what you're doing, your team is very solid. This is an eternal dilemma in FF: go with the stud or the matchup? Go Kurt!
Old 12-04-2005, 08:21 PM

Well, looks like the QB situation was a total wash - Warner scored 22 points for me (354 yards, 29 completions, 1 TD and 2 INT's)

However Anquan Boldin went nuts with 11 catches for 156 yards and a TD - we get a bonus for 10+ catches, 100+ and 150+ yards receiving, and TD's 50+ yards.... so that was nice. Jackson and Moss really crapped the bed today.

Right now the score is 133-91, he's got Hasslebeck left tomorrow night, and I've got L.J. Smith - I don't think Hasslebeck will put up huge numbers due to the inclement weather tomorrow night, so I'm feeling pretty good about the victory. Woohoo!

Score:

ACTIVE
QB - K. Warner - 22
RB - S. Jackson - 3
RB - S. Gado - 14
RB - T. Barber - 17
WR - S. Moss - 5
WR - A. Boldin - 34
TE - L.J. Smith -
K - Elam - 10
D - Ravens - 28

Total: 133

RESERVE
QB - C. Palmer - 23
QB - B. Roethlisberger - 27
WR - K. Johnson (Keyshawn) - 1
WR - B. Lloyd - 4
WR - M. Muhammed - 0
WR - A. Lelie - 6
D - Vikings - 15

His lineup:

ACTIVE
QB - M. Hasslebeck -
RB - R. Johnson - 21
RB - J. Jones - 15
WR - R. Smith - 7
WR - C. Johnson - 5
WR - L. Fitzgerald - 15
TE - D. Clark - 3
K - L. Tynes - 7
D - Dolphins - 18

Total: 91

RESERVE
QB - J. Plummer - 15
RB - M. Barber - 0
RB - M. Bennett - 20
RB - D. Rhodes - 0
RB - S. Davis - 0
WR - E. Moulds - 0
WR - M. Robinson - 0
D - Seahawks -
Old 12-04-2005, 09:13 PM

WTG...wow your league's scoring system is weird. I'm down by 2 pts with Westbrook playing for me tomorrow night, his players are done. Looks like I'm in the playoffs. Now maybe I can start Roethlisberger with confidence. Got him, Brunell, and Mike McMahon. Why oh why did I draft Culpepper in the first round? Playoffs don't start til Week 15, would it be wrong of me to sit all of my good players next week to get better waiver position?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:51 PM

i ended up starting warner in both my $ leagues too. It wasn't looking good at around 11:00am my time (3 first half tds for palmer), but ended up nearly a wash. in one of my leagues we get 6pts for passing TDs, though so palmer outscored warner by 5. Those 5 points would have helped me watch the raider game a little easier since I would have been up 14 instead of 9 w/ him having Jordan playing. Luckily, Jordan sucked ass and I won.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck bro. I'll try one last time to talk you out of this decision. You know how fantasy analysts refer to certain players as "must-start, regardless of matchup"? Carson Palmer is this type of player.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your advice was basically "you must start Carson Palmer because he is a must play ". So you're saying you won't be successful at fantasy football unless you limit yourself to one-dimensional, unbending, linear football analysis like that? Give me a break. Warner was a very strong play this week, arguably even stronger than Palmer. No one can pick who will score higher every week. There is variance in fantasy football too, so please don't bother to point out that Palmer did score a few points more than Warner.

[ QUOTE ]
Why oh why did I draft Culpepper in the first round?

[/ QUOTE ]
The fact that you stated that you drafted Culpepper in the first round makes me question your fantasy football knowledge to an even greater extent. I'm not even being results oriented here. It's just a fact that it's easy to get a QB in the 5th-7th round of drafting that will put up 80-90% of the fantasy numbers that a 1st round QB pick would. It's virtually impossible to get a RB in the 5th-7th round that would put up 80-90% of the production of a 1st round RB choice, unless your league is: very small, includes a bunch of idiots, or you get lucky and pick a sleeper.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:40 PM

You are 100% right in terms of the QB position being probably the most diluted position in FF. However, I stand by my theory of the "must-starts" if you will. You can doubt my FF knowledge if you want, however out of all gambling related activities I've ever participated in, I've had most success in FF: this is my 5th season, I generally play in winner take all money leagues, I won my first season playing and last year, and this year I'm easily in position to win it all (last year won $1600, this year I can win $3500). Like I stated in my first post of this thread, "If there's one thing I've learned about playing fantasy football, it's to start your stars playoff time." Not following this advice almost cost me the season last year in the championship game: I started Billy Volek over Donovan McNabb and Jake Delhomme in Week 16 (I was fortunate enough to have a deep enough to overcome this mistake and Peyton Manning playing for my opponent). Of course McNabb's Eagles already knew their playoff fate, and Jake had the tougher matchup, but he in fact was a very consistent backup for me and put up a good number that week as opposed to Volek's goose-egg. Consistency is the key here, and I believe both QBs showed their's yesterday effectively. As far as drafting Culpepper, I drafted McNabb in the second round last year, and he was by far my team's MVP, and playing the same type of league this year, I wanted to center my team around my QB. Unforunately, Manning & McNabb were already taken, and I didn't have the forsight to draft Palmer in a later round, but I also determined that a scrambling QB was valuable in my type of league. The fact I've been able to overcome wasting my 1st round pick this year further demonstrates my knowledge in this area, so please don't question it again.