Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 09-21-2005, 03:05 AM

Default Theory question.

Apologies if this is boring.

You have a made hand on the river in a HU pot vs a very bad player who you assume is on a draw to a flush/straight that is semi-live, or is simply being an idiot calling you down with a very small pair. He will bet or raise if he makes his draw, but he will also bet or raise if he improves to 2p which you beat 80% of the time. Examples below I'm going to slightly change however. Also asssume you get bluff bet/raised 0% of the time. (Ignore internet donkiness where they may bet an obviously worse hand as well)

River:
A) Bet, call raise.
B) Bet, fold to a raise.
C) Check, call.

2) Hard time narrowing his hand down becasue he is just too bad to be readable. However, appears to be a small pair with an open 3 flush and remotely may have a broken gutshot straight draw as well.

River:
A) Bet, call raise.
B) Bet, fold to a raise.
C) Check, call.

3) Villian is bad, but he needs at least a small pair to get started. He won't fold unless someone makes open made hand he can't draw out on. On 6th his board is simply random cards with a 3 flush.

River:
A) Bet, call raise.
B) Bet, fold to a raise.
C) Check, call.

4) Opponent is a decent player, but he isn't that tricky. Appears he has at least a 4flush. If you had to guess he has a small pair and a 4 flush. However if he catches 2 pair on 7th half the time you're beaten.

River:
A) Bet, call raise.
B) Bet, fold to a raise.
C) Check, call.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Theory question.

[ QUOTE ]
Apologies if this is boring.

You have a made hand on the river in a HU pot vs a very bad player who you assume is on a draw to a flush/straight that is semi-live, or is simply being an idiot calling you down with a very small pair. He will bet or raise if he makes his draw, but he will also bet or raise if he improves to 2p which you beat 80% of the time. Examples below I'm going to slightly change however. Also asssume you get bluff bet/raised 0% of the time. (Ignore internet donkiness where they may bet an obviously worse hand as well)

River:
A) Bet, call raise.
B) Bet, fold to a raise.
C) Check, call.[ QUOTE ]

Need more info. Will he call your bet if he doesn't improve though, say with just a pair? Also what is your hand. Big difference between aces up and j's up in this situation i think.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:46 AM

There is not really enough information on how the hand was played to answer these questions indepth. Factors include what cards are dead, the structure of the game, the action on 3rd, when you made two pair, do you have an open pair etc.

In general I would want to see a showdown in all these situations and would probaly value betthem all on 7th except the last one where I would bet/fold given the read.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:20 PM

Sorry if I made this too vague, I was trying to keep it theoretical instead of making up specific hands. For the action on all streets I want to say you started out with a jack up betting and only he called. You hit an open pair on 5th and improve to jacks up. The action went you bet he calls all the way to 7th, for all the hands.

As far as how live his cards are, assume he is a standard internet donk who will play slightly but not completely dead cards, so assume his draws to straights and flushes are 70-80% live. In example 1, 2, and 3 one of their upcards is higher than your jack. In example 4 two of his upcards are higher, for all examples it possible they have a higher card than your jack buried as well.

Also he will ALWAYS call your bet unimproved. Will always bet or raise if he hits his straight or flush draw. If he improves to 2 pair he will always bet or raise, but you beat him there unless he caught 3 outer to the only 2p that beats you (except in case 4). If this is too hard to answer with these posts split I'll retype and repost this up later.