Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Do you think this is for real? Israel gearing up to attack Iran...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-1920074,00.html

Thats some heavy stuff. (cut and paste it) It says in March Israel is going to use its air and ground(!) forces to eliminate Iran's ability to build a nuke.

I wonder how this is going to help our 'democracy' drive in Iraq.

This is what they call a 'trial balloon'. My feeling is that the DoD is floating that in the international press as a piece of black propaganda to see what kind of reaction it gets. The outrage or lack of, will determine whether they go ahead with the attack. Nice to see Iraq has become 'East Israel'. And its nice to see that wanting a weapon is enough to warrant an invasion. Yes, i know its 'too late' when they get it, but they wouldn't use it, less we nuke them into bolivion.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Do you think this is for real? Israel gearing up to attack Iran...

I think it's pretty likely, and don't blame Israel for doing this. Check out Iraq circa 1981.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:53 PM

It is a trial balloon, but there's no "black propaganda" to it. Israel is merely signalling their intentions which should have already been deduced, and giving Iran a chance to back away from the precipice. And it's only a precipice for Iran, not for Israel, cause Israel is gonna come out on top.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My feeling is that the DoD is floating that in the international press as a piece of black propaganda to see what kind of reaction it gets.

[/ QUOTE ]

This article has nothing to do with the DoD.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, i know its 'too late' when they get it, but they wouldn't use it, less we nuke them into bolivion.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a huge assumption to make about Iran. You have more faith in the Iranian government than many.

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how this is going to help our 'democracy' drive in Iraq.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an intersting point. Iraqis have a strong nationalistic streak and were at war with Iran for eight years. Iraqis may see a strike against an aggressive neighbor like Iran as beneficial even if it comes from Israel.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:07 PM

Why would it be anything but real? They did the same thing to Iraq.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:08 PM

"Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My feeling is that the DoD is floating that in the international press as a piece of black propaganda to see what kind of reaction it gets.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This article has nothing to do with the DoD."

I am sure that Israel does not do anything militarily without our permission. Where do you think they got those neat helicopters and nukes?

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Yes, i know its 'too late' when they get it, but they wouldn't use it, less we nuke them into bolivion. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a huge assumption to make about Iran. You have more faith in the Iranian government than many."

Do you think they would just use the bomb, willy-nilly and assure their own destruction? What tapeodong do they have anyway? (daily show joke)
Old 12-12-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think they would just use the bomb, willy-nilly and assure their own destruction?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope they wouldn't be stupid enough to use nukes, but you are assuming the Iranian government is thinking rationally. They may not be.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am sure that Israel does not do anything militarily without our permission.

[/ QUOTE ]

Israel is like any other country, they will do what they think is best for them. The US and Israel are allies, but that hasn't stopped Israel from spying on the US.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:46 PM

Israel does need us to give them all the intel, especially satellite intel, possible. But there is no reason to assume we won't or shouldn't provide that assistance.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you are assuming the Iranian government is thinking rationally. They may not be.

[/ QUOTE ]
may not??!