Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Small stakes discussion we\'d like more feedback on 400nl 6max

This is the exact post from the original poster. Feedback appreciated!

Playing 6max 400nl on prima. I have 400 as does everyone else in the hand. I have no reads but my opponents suck in general and I school em daily. Opponents tend to call down to often and are very hard to bluff.

UTG makes it 12, Co min raises to 20. Im on the button with QQ. Reraise or call and why
Old 12-02-2005, 09:17 PM

Default My line and reasoning

I re-raise this in position. An argument can be made for calling and using your position, but I'm re-thinking this sort of line.

I re-raise to $60: 1) Get this HU's as my equity is much higher against 1 opponent then 2. 2) It's still quite reasonable that I have the best hand and AK, AQ or JJ,TT may still call here (against weak opponents). 3) It gives me a chance to possibly get away from the hand if someone doesn't smooth call KK-AA and pushes or 4-bets. 4) I have position and can build a pot where I may have the best hand.

If I flat call here, UTG calls, and the flop comes all unders and now I face a large bet from the re-raiser I have a diffcult time navigating this hand. I can just call and hope the pot doesn't get too big and that he doesn't have a bigger pair or out turn me with a K or A, or worse yet orginally UTG check/push, in which case I'm folding.

OR if I call pre-flop, flop comes unders and re-raiser pots the flop, I can raise the flop and win the pot if they fold, but I'm stuck also if he re-raises, especially if the flop is really low like 258 or something. He could easily raise and try and isolate pre-flop with JJ against inital raiser. SO....

If I re-raise pre-flop and I'm 4 bet, I can dump this hand and wait for a better spot and get out cheaply. IF I'm called by re-raiser, I most likely have the best hand and got more money in with the best hand AND can use my position. I have to only hope that he doesn't smooth call his KK or AA.

I would flat call if the stacks were deeper as my implied odds grow if I flop a set.

Please correct my thinking if I'm way off here.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Small stakes discussion we\'d like more feedback on 400nl 6max

tough one, I call because I have position but proceed very carefully
Old 12-02-2005, 09:24 PM

From what I've seen, Prima players seem to be more agg then on other sites. Do you find that this is true?

Unless CO is a rock, I always raise big here. Why? An A or K flops a lot, and I want to see the flop HU. I don't hate QQ against 2 opponents, but I prefer to have it HU. If someone 3-bets, you can either happily fold, or call and try and outflop him.

Another reason to raise is the most straightforward: because you probably have the best hand, and you want to get his money in the pot with dominated hands like JJ-TT and AQ.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tough one, I call because I have position but proceed very carefully

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you think that this gives away initiative and some of the power of position? Also, I very rarely see people minraise with AA/KK preflop. Ususally they coldcall or stick in a bigger bet.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From what I've seen, Prima players seem to be more agg then on other sites. Do you find that this is true?

Unless CO is a rock, I always raise big here. Why? An A or K flops a lot, and I want to see the flop HU. I don't hate QQ against 2 opponents, but I prefer to have it HU. If someone 3-bets, you can either happily fold, or call and try and outflop him.

Another reason to raise is the most straightforward: because you probably have the best hand, and you want to get his money in the pot with dominated hands like JJ-TT and AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. But the action pre-flop would be a 4-bet btw. Not that it changes tOO much. But it does argue more for a re-raise as a flat call is putting yorself in a precarious situation imo.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:30 PM

Im leaning against calling and preceeds pretty slowly trying to see where I stand postflop (if the flop comes without a A or a K) as cheaply as possible. But much of course depends how frequently the two opponents has raised preflop.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im leaning against calling and preceeds pretty slowly trying to see where I stand postflop (if the flop comes without a A or a K) as cheaply as possible. But much of course depends how frequently the two opponents has raised preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're leaning against calling, meaning you'd raise or you're just using a colorful metaphor describing how your leaning on a fence and falling towards a call? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're leaning against calling, meaning you'd raise or you're just using a colorful metaphor describing how your leaning on a fence and falling towards a call? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just the colorful metaphor [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ...Or a strange translation of a expression in my language.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. But the action pre-flop would be a 4-bet btw. Not that it changes tOO much. But it does argue more for a re-raise as a flat call is putting yorself in a precarious situation imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant the re-raise, not the original raise. Someone opening for 12 in that game means "I have 2 Ok cards" or better for most players.

I think you put yourself in the dark when you call.