Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 11:33 AM

Default For My Buddy Grey - Another Look at the Abortion Issue

[ QUOTE ]
Which party has the most liberal stance on abortion rights?

[/ QUOTE ]

To which Grey responed:

[ QUOTE ]
The better question to fit your hypotheses is "which party best represents public opinion on abortion?" The answer is the Democratic Party. The reason abortion may even out or even possibly help Republicans more is that there are more fervent pro-life people than there are fervent pro-choice people. This could also be the case with gay marriage although I haven't seen any data on that explanation yet.

This is why I and many Democratic strategists want Roe v Wade overturned- because it would fire up the pro-choice crowd and force Republican leaders to actually take action on abortion instead of hiding behind Roe v Wade and yelling about it. Only a few states have a majority who want to ban abortion, and their electoral votes are few.

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice that Grey hasn't really refuted what I claimed and in fact I think he more or less supports what I claimed. Notice that my comment didn't say anything about banning abortions. In fact anyone who has read my posts about abortions and remembers them will recall that I belive that "pro choice" and "pro life" basically represent extreme points of view and that there's a middle ground. I've also stated that I believe the majority of Americans support abortion rights in some form. This stance is not at all contradictory with what Grey is claiming IMO. Grey also provided a link to some poll information about abortion here:

Polling Report About Abortion

I think the results of this poll are consistent with my beliefs about what the public sentiment is regarding abortion and actually what Grey believes. Grey I challenge you to provide a link to any comments I've made on this site or this forum claiming that Roe v. Wade should be overturned and/or abolished. I think you'll be wasting your time because I readily admit that I don't know Constitutional Law well at all and that I can't really make a judgement on the prudence and veracity of this landmark decision. Robert Bork had an oped piece in the WSJ today claiming Roe v. Wade was a terrible decision by the court. Not sure why or why not. Thoughts appreciated.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: For My Buddy Grey - Another Look at the Abortion Issue

You need to put in a link to the original discussion because your post here is incoherent. You say

[ QUOTE ]

Notice that Grey hasn't really refuted what I claimed and in fact I think he more or less supports what I claimed.

[/ QUOTE ]

But there is no "claim" shown. All that's shown is a question, "Which party has the most liberal stance on abortion rights?" So, sorry, I can't "notice" whether Grey refuted anything. From this post it just looks like you're talking past each other.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: For My Buddy Grey - Another Look at the Abortion Issue

Way to take everything out of context. Bill O'Reilly would be proud. And why did this merit a new thread?[ QUOTE ]
Notice that Grey hasn't really refuted what I claimed and in fact I think he more or less supports what I claimed.

[/ QUOTE ]Sure, not in that post, but in another post I posted specific data which refuted the claim you and a couple other right-wingers were supporting and backslapping each other about regarding Democratic positions not being in tune with the public. This is what I posted:

"Regardless of how you usually vote, which party comes closer to sharing your view on abortion: the Democratic Party or the Republican Party?"

Democratic- 45
Republican-35

It is from the same link you provide in this thread.
[ QUOTE ]
Grey I challenge you to provide a link to any comments I've made on this site or this forum claiming that Roe v. Wade should be overturned and/or abolished.

[/ QUOTE ]Uh, where did I say you supported that? What the [censored] are you talking about?