Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 01:20 AM

Default The overhead view is of me in a maze

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button <font color="green">(46/4.6/1)</font> calls, SB <font color="green">(37/24/2.4)</font> completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Re: The overhead view is of me in a maze

Any read on SB? Might have a value bet on the river if this guy is capable with some crappy Q-high FD that missed (or something similar). It's hard to put him on a hand that beats you and that checks the river unless he's determined to get a C/R in, and your flop raise and turn check also looks like a FD - a river bet might be viewed as you being FOS and get called by all sorts of garbage.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:50 AM

After thinking about it some (but not a whole lot), I think you played the hand perfectly. On the flop there is plenty of chance SB is betting with nothing or a flush draw. On the turn betting sucks because you are getting checkraised a tremendous percentage of the time, and of course never getting a better hand to fold. The river comes safe for you but there is not enough value to bet in this small pot--you are getting checkraised some decent percentage of the time on the river as well and you just won't get enough calls from worse hands due to the very small pot size.

I think the most interesting street is probably the flop. But still the play seems pretty directly correct after some thought.

Nice hand.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to put him on a hand that beats you and that checks the river unless he's determined to get a C/R in, and your flop raise and turn check also looks like a FD

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is somewhat contradictory. The fact that my hand looks like a FD is exactly why it looks like he could have something that beats on the river. With a pocket pair, he could very reasonably check-call to induce a bluff rather than betting into the apparent busted draw that probably can't call.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to put him on a hand that beats you and that checks the river unless he's determined to get a C/R in, and your flop raise and turn check also looks like a FD

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is somewhat contradictory. The fact that my hand looks like a FD is exactly why it looks like he could have something that beats on the river. With a pocket pair, he could very reasonably check-call to induce a bluff rather than betting into the apparent busted draw that probably can't call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right. A PP almost surely checks the river hoping to induce. I like the river check.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that my hand looks like a FD is exactly why it looks like he could have something that beats on the river. With a pocket pair, he could very reasonably check-call to induce a bluff rather than betting into the apparent busted draw that probably can't call.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a very good point.

However, I also think that this is just the kind of mistake a 34/24 10/20 player would make--betting a river like this for value when he should check call to induce a bluff. Especially since you checked behind on the turn, I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy value bet pocket pairs and even ace high hands in addition to the obvious busted draws. Still I can't see betting the river, he's going to be inducing a bluff or going for a checkraise more often than he's going to call with a worse hand.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:07 AM

im intrigued by your line because this is not a play i ever make. maybe i am missing out on some free money.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:17 AM

What about a turn bet? I think with a 24pfr SB would raise a PP preflop. And a turn bet can also represent a King, and give SB that opportunity to fold.

EK (3/6 6max)
Old 09-29-2005, 02:18 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

bet the turn. you get value from a flush draw, his most likely holding. you are representing a K and he won't bluff c/r you
Old 09-29-2005, 05:34 AM

Fold the flop. The pot is small and if SB has a three your almost dead except for runner runner Aces and if he has a King you have only three outs. If he's semibluffing with a flush draw, you can win if neither of you improve unless he also has an ace in which case you only split, but the flush draw will come in almost half the time, and your Ace will come in only about 15% of the time. Your eight could come in sometimes but still lose if a card that beats an eight comes in and he has it.

After that, the rest of the hand as played looks good. If SB had a three, he got afraid you had a King, or he had a King, he was probably hoping to induce a bluff from you because he figured you would fold if he bet again.