Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2004, 07:50 AM

Default Re: An idea (ATTN: Bison)

Of course, I meant Should I move up.

I would bump a Should I love up post daily.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Look, it\'s real simple...

It may also in part be due to what happens or doesn't in the beginners forum.
In there when someone posts a HH they are usually told they will get a better response if they post in the Micro forum. Could this influx of noob questions have caused people to move from Micro to SS in an effort to be with more experienced players even though they may be asking more beginner like questions?
Perhaps some effort to bolster the help in the beginners forum would ease the pressure on SS.

Luckydog
Old 10-07-2004, 08:34 AM

I have told people in beginners to do that.

Beginners is in General Gambling and I was under the impression it was more for general beginners questions ie what does UTG mean, how should I study etc

Rather than a hand history dissection forum.

SSH has come out and has probably generated interest in this site and the SSH forum specifically, it will calm down over the next few months, and will evolve anyway there is a bunch of guys progressing up from micro and some of the regulars will move up.

Once regular posters start policing forums and having rules, people are too busy pointing out transgression of rules than looking at the content of the post.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
there is a bunch of guys progressing up from micro

[/ QUOTE ]

We need this. The vast majority of the best SS posters used to be micro posters (and some still are).
Old 10-07-2004, 08:42 AM

We need this. The vast majority of the best SS posters used to be micro posters (and some still are).

I HATE the way my post came across. Its not how it sounded, believe me. I love being able to share what little experiance I have with somebody who has less than myself. I guess I was just thinking aloud that something needed to be done about the "masses" of content-less posts that flood the forum. Older posters, such as myself, are just as guilty of this as newer posters are.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Take a look at your number of posts

1. Eliminate the member rankings. It seems that some people post just to move up the hierarchy. They see some status in being an old hand, pooh-bah or whatever. Who cares? You find out quickly who the posters with good content are.

This is an interesting idea. I'm not sure if anyone else commented on this, but I think this would certainly cut down on meaningless posts.

But if you have 2000 over 3 months like some in the micros its time to go outside and find a girl friend.

This is a bit harsh, but also a bit true. I see some people who post hands that they already know the answer to. I know they know the answer because they are smart, educated people who play very well, but they post it here just in case to get some confirmation. I think you have to be able to make some decisions on your own without running back here every ten seconds to post about it.

There is something to be said for working things out on your own rather than having answers given to you.

Improve the titles

Amen to that. As I said in another post, these "cute" titles are annoying.

I thought this post was good, but perhaps ignored because Kilroy is a newer poster.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:22 AM

Forgive me if this is mentioned later on, I'm only to page two. I think that more forums is the way to go. We online poker players are, by nature, solitary. When I hit Quads on the river against aces full and the guy didn't bet, I had to tell somebody, and two+two is the only avenue most of us have while we are playing.

If there is a "Bad Beat Forum" I may post there, but I will probably never read anything there, but it would probably be therepeutic to those who feel the need. If there is an "Interesting Hand Forum" then the Party-Is-Rigged Conspirators would have somewhere to go.

Providing more options to post makes is easier to decide "read" or "don't read" based on the forum rather than having to decide based on a witty title.

While I'm asking, I'd like a "Trip Reports" forum, those rule.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:48 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

how about when someone who "gets it" reponds to a post, and no one disagrees, we don't have a thread that goes like this:

"nice hand"
"yeah, well played"
"good job. hope ya won"
"excellent. i really like the preflop raise"
"you play g00t"
"yes I agree with the previous 5 posters"

if it's standard and no one disagrees with the first poster, then just let it die.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:54 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

we also need a stickied FAQ

FWIW I'm against taking down the converter because (1) a lot hand posts are essentially unreadable without it, (2) I don't see it working, and (3) I'm lazy

but I'm all for whatever you guys decide to do
Old 10-07-2004, 11:18 AM

stheif's idea is a good one.

Personally, when I reply to a hand history thread in Micro-Limits, I try never to simply echo what someone else has already said in that thread. If I can't add anything new, I don't post.