Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2004, 11:23 AM

Default Re: PC Network help needed

I am still having the problems. I removed my router and am just trying to access the net with the new computer. It is directly linked to my cable modem.

I turned windows firewall off and repaired the connection. It said the connection was repaired. I then tried to access the internet and an icon popped up in the lower right saying limited or no connectivity to the internet. Click here for more details. I clicked there and it said 380 packets sent and 2 received.

I greatly appreciate all of the help. What should I try now? Should i try runnning the emachines restore cd? I tried calling Best Buy yesterday but they were swamped and not answering their phone.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2004, 01:32 PM

I suggest starting with the basics Jim.
Open a command prompt and try pinging 127.0.0.1 to see if you network adapter is responding.
Try pinging the IP address for your cable modem if you know it.
Try pinging a URL on the internet. If DNS is working you should see the IP address you are pinging.

I don't have Charter but do have Comcast cable and almost every time I call them about a network outage they give me the same spiel:
Check Network control panel to be sure DHCP is enabled (Obtain an IP address automatically).
Turn off computer and cable modem for at least 5 minutes.
Disconnect any router connecting computer and cable modem and connect modem directly to computer.
Turn on cable modem, wait till all lights come on.
Turn on computer.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:09 PM

Thanks to all for the help! I am now logged onto the new computer. It is strange though. Now the new computer will connect but the old one will not. The old computer receives a message low or no connectivity. I think it is having trouble seeing the new ip address? I do have auto search for new ip address and dns checked.

I did about 100 things previously and am not sure what worked. What I finally did (again) was turn off the modem and computer. I turned both back on and could connect to the internet. My router is not working but I think it may be a good time to purchase a wireless router.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2004, 02:20 PM

Did you ever have zone alarms' firewall installed on your old computer even if you were no longer using the program? What is the brand and model number of your router? Did you ever turn on MAC address filtering with the old router?
Old 11-27-2004, 02:27 PM

Netgear rp614 router. I am unable to log onto the router. I tried no id with admin as password and admin as id and 1234 as password. I do't think I ever had zonealarm on that computer. I did have on the previous computer. I dont think I turned on MAC filtering address.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
Old 11-27-2004, 02:35 PM

Check and make sure the windows firewall is turned off on the old computer. Afterwards try the repair this connection bit. When you repair this connection all your doing is releasing and renewing your IP address. Post back if it caused any change.Let me do some quick research into your router and I will get back to you in a few minutes.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:55 PM

I turned off the window firewall on the old pc and tried to repair the internet connection/renew ip. Received the message unable to repair internet connection. Rebooted computer and still unable to connect with old pc. Good news is new pc works fine. I told the gf she may be reading a book tonight instead of playing poker. She did not like that idea.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
Old 11-27-2004, 03:35 PM

I think your router firewall settings are the problem with the router. When you just hooked up the old PC(when I had you turn off the windows firewall) was it thru the router or direct to the modem?

I could not get an online manual for your router but want you to reset it after you change a setting. Charter pipeline connects thru a proxy server according to the web site, the following link is there instructions for setting this. Proxy setting

After setting this I want you to reset your router the following are instructions from netgear.

To reset your netgear router try the following.
Press the reset button on the back until the test light blinks. (To avoid accidental resets, the small button is recessed. Use a pen or paperclip to access it.)

Wait for the router to reboot, then try logging in with the default password.

If the router was not cleared, try these additional steps AFTER the router has finished rebooting.

Unplug the router's power.

Press and hold the reset button. While the button is held down, reconnect router's power.
Continue to hold the reset button for 20 seconds after reconnecting the power.

Wait for the router to reboot.

This is what they list for passwords.
The router username is always admin
The default password is password or (for some older routers) 1234
The address the netgear site shows to get into your router setup is 192.168.0.1 but if you have a software method use it instead.

With a new PC to play with you might not feel like working out this problem right now. If that is the case post back and you can send me a PM sometime and we can arrange a better time to solve this if you want. If you want to get it fixed so your girl can get online too, the problems are definitly repairable without to much trouble.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:59 PM

Thanks alot! I will try this right now.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:35 PM

argghhh. I signed onto the router and clicked the appropriate settings. I click on test and it does not connect to the netgear website. I also cant go back and forth between the pc's. I have to turn off the pc and cable modem and boot both up at the same time. It cant repair the internet connection.