Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2003, 11:40 AM

Default How to play Pot Limit

Hi,

I know there is a link on 2+2 for potlimit games but I kinda wanted advice from everyone and notjust people who play PL/NL only. ANyways, I'mgoing to France in September and will definitely be playing poker at that fancy club (Aviation Club de France). Apparently , they only usually have PL holdem which I have neverplayed. I'veonly ever played 5/10 and10/20.
Can anyone please give me advice on how to play PL half decntly? I have no interest in studying for it because it'll probably be the only time I playPL in my life since it is not offered here inToronto. So even if I read upon it, I will not be able to practice.
Just from thinking about it, I have no clue how toplayPL. For example, if I have AA on a board of K-J-5 and someone bets the pot on the flop.....should you call? Ihave no idea!! Hands that are simple decisions in limit seemsvery tough inPL unless youhave the nuts.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:38 PM

Default PL at the aviation in Pris

Hi slim,

you are right, PL plays completely different from limit.

But let me start out by describing the games at the Aviation Club in Paris. (As a side note, make SURE you go there, it is beautiful)
They only have PL there, no limit. All tables are dealers choice. The games you can choose are:
-Omaha high (with either 4 or 5 hole cards)
-Ohama 8 or better
-HE
- Courchevel (plays like Omaha high, except you get to see the first card of the flop without any prior betting)
-Stud
-Stud 8 or better
-Aviation (form of Pineapple HE)
-Double Holdem (HE with two flops, each for half the pot)

The vast majority of the time they play either O high, O 8 or Courchevel, with the occasional HE thrown in.

So, if you want to play there with a pos. EV, be sure to brush up on your Omaha skills, both high and 8 or better. The games at the lowest buy-in (200 EUro, I believe) are very beatable, even if you only play the nuts.

I would recommend two books by Ciaffone:
Omaha Poker
and
Pot limit and NoLimit (written by Ciaffone and Reuben)

If you study those, you should do quite well in Paris.

Oh, I just remembered. They have a big tournament week there starting the 10th of September, ending the 21st. Maybe they spread some limit games during that time...

Greets, Erd.

PS: THere is some more info in a threat called "Aviation club" in the "B+M Cardrooms" Forum
Old 06-28-2003, 11:45 AM

Default Re: How to play Pot Limit

If there are many players seeing the flop at pot-limit holdem, a loose game, little preflop raising, then the way I adjust is to look at the top pair like it would be a middle pair when it faces a bigger bet/raise. An overpair is like a second pair in those cases. These moves can't be wrong in bigger multiway pots with a small pot and a big flop bet. Even if you are often folding the best hand, you save money. Loose pot-limit games are basically two pair games.

If it's not that loose, then it plays more like limit holdem, though you still have to give more respect to bigger bets, except if they regularly bet the pot with top pairs and draws.
Old 06-28-2003, 03:55 PM

"For example, if I have AA on a board of K-J-5 and someone bets the pot on the flop.....should you call? I have no idea!!"

Look at the bright side. You'll be hard to read. :-)

"... I have no interest in studying"

Good plan. That wouldn't help anyway because PL games are even more player/locale/custom specific than limit games. Best advice I can think of is keep everything small and cozy: the blinds, your buy-ins, and most of all, the pot sizes when you have one pair. It's not like limit. You're allowed to check with top pair, not as a trap, but as pot-size control.

Realize going in that in all likelihood, the hands that result in your biggest swings will be the hands that involved the most obvious choices. The no brainers. You'll win only half of those hands. The real profit and loss changes hands invisibly on the hands in between. So don't worry about it. Just don't go near bankroll fret and I think you'll have a fine time.

Tommy
Old 06-30-2003, 08:27 AM

"...look at the top pair like it would be a middle pair when it faces a bigger bet/raise. An overpair is like a second pair in those cases. "

Are you serious? This guy will finally get into a game where he can actually bet enough to protect his hand, and you tell him to play top pair and overpairs like they are second or middle pair?

Saying "Loose pot-limit games are basically two pair games" is also sending this guy down the wrong path. If you play this cautiously in pot limit, you'll never win. I play in loose pot limit games all the time online and this is just ridiculous. I've also played much live no limit in loose games, same thing. In a game where you can make a decent sized bet, top pair often takes the pot right there if you bet the pot (or more in NL). People don't chase with nearly as much either, because the bet is so big.

Now there are instances, as Tommy pointed out, where checking top pair is appropriate, to keep the pot small. This might be like when you limp with T9 and the flop is nine high in an unraised six way pot. Here, it's fine to check and see if a threatening card comes off on the turn. The pot is so small a pot size bet will probably not drive out all the overcards or str8 draws.

The best advice would be to go online and play in the $25 buy in games for practice.

al