Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 01:55 AM

Default something is very very wrong

I am on the worst downswing of my career. I have dropped 10 buy ins at 200nl and another 4 at 100nl. I was having a great end to october, up 1400 in the last week and all was well. Then my graph just dropped off the cliff and shot down. I feel awful about poker right now, nothing is going right for me.

The worst part is it is not as if I am getting drawn out on, I am just not getting into +EV spots that much. If I were losing two pair to a OESD while all in I could deal with that. I have the BR and the persistance. Nothing is going right. I am clearly running bad but I don't feel like a winning player. Before this I could lose 600$, call it a day, and say "k i'll come back tomorrow and do what i do and get it back" but now I don't feel that way. In the last 2200 hands at 100nl 6m I have won exactly 4 pots bigger than 50$. I have had AA and KK 15 times, I have either won a small pot of 10bb or the blinds, except for the one time I got stacked while having top set and the 3 to the flush on the turn.

I'm not trying to complain, because I don't feel I have gotten unlucky. I am cold decked to a certain degree and what not, but I am not getting it all in and outdrawn. The reason i mention those things is because I think they illustrate the place I'm at right now. I am just not winning big pots.

Solutions- Can I arrange to swap a group of hands with someone? I'll start posting more hands but I really don't think I've been making too many "mistakes". I have not really been overplaying hands and I don't really tilt (I cut a relatively large number of sessions short to prevent this). I used to be able to get it all in with AA against KK preflop at 200nl 6m, that never happens anymore. Ugh. Have the 100 and 200nl 6m games gotten less fishy? I always laugh when other people say that but right now I genuinely believe it. This post is long and pretty rambling and probably won't solve much on it's own, but I need to talk with someone about it.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:02 AM

Default Re: something is very very wrong

Dude, call me tomorrow. PM me or IM me if you don't have my number anymore.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:06 AM

I feel for you. I had been playing well and crushing 50nl and 100nl the past couple of months. i made over 1100 two weeks ago and then all of a sudden last week i just started to suck at poker. I dropped like 700 in a week by pushing draws that had no FE, getting stacked on overpairs, and generally playing like an [censored]. As well as getting unlucky a number of times like KK vs. 99 and JJ all in preflop and losing. Also i noticed that, like you, it seemed that evertime i got aces everyone folded. I ended up withdrawing my bankroll from Party and am taking this week just to review hand histories. next week i plan on playing some on other sites where i have money and maybe a couple of mtt's until i dive back in the following week. Reviewing the hands has seemed to clear my head a bit and let me reevaluate parts of my game that were leaking. I don't know if this helps you out at all, but good luck.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not trying to complain, because I don't feel I have gotten unlucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel for ya. I am in such a bad place right now in cash games. I know I am not playing great. But, I don't think I am playing awful either. The trouble is that I HAVE been getting extremely unlucky. (and I've played long enough and been here long enough to see all the bad luck whine posts, so I don't say that lightly) I have been getting the money in with the best of it, and losing over and over again. I could list a dozen bad beats I've had this past week where I get stacked as a big favorite (big = 80+ %). And I am talking rivered 2-3 outters, not some guy chasing and hitting a flush on the river. I've had set over set a few times this past week as well, after maybe having it twice the whole rest of the year. Tuesday, I had the good end of set over set, and the guy hit quads on the turn after we were all-in.

Just a few minutes ago I played a hand where I had AK, raise preflop, get minraised by a donk, call, board is AK4, I bet, guy raises, I push, he has QQ and hits his two outter to win. It's been going that way. Yeah, that's a bad beat story. But it's so frustrating to lose to bad play like that. It's not like good players have been beating me. It's bad players making terrible plays when they have the worst of it and winning, that just puts me at the end of my rope in this whole poker thing.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:42 AM

This is probably variance. You cant win every week. At one point I had won something like 30 weeks in a row. Was it a shock to then lose 4 out of the next 5 weeks? Yep. Then things turned around and boom I was winning again and won back almost everything I had lost in my month of hell in like 10 days. I lost confidence in myself.. was questioning my play... felt horrible... and with a good run of cards erased that month from my head.

Take a break for a week, clear your head, and go back at it knowing that you are a winning player.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:42 AM

Hmmm. This is very bizarre because I've hit a brick wall this month as well, with VERY similar bad beats. I've been noticing that I cannot get any callers with pocket aces either, and I raise a healthy number of pots.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:03 AM

Stick with it, you know you'll get it back. Feel free to PM some hands.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:29 AM

I've been feeling similarly. All I can suggest is to take a break from Hold'em. Maybe do some crappy deposit bonus playing O/8 or something fun like that. Or completely take some time off. The nice thing I've noticed about taking these little breaks from Hold'em is that when I come back I either:
a. play better
or
b. I don't get as annoyed with myself and am actually think things through like a disciplined idiot.

Your advice has helped me in the past, so I'm hoping you bounce back.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:47 AM

Spend a weekend pouring over old HHs. Look for obvious leaks. Then go back, to playing... a lot of hands.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:49 AM

im finally running well; won 8 buyins this session. or should i say, back to playing my game. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]