Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Microlimit player going to ac for the first time

What game should I play? I've played and beaten the .5/1, 1/2 and the 25NL on party. im currently playing some .5/1 6max on stars and 50NL on party. my bankroll is about $900 and I plan on bringing $600.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Microlimit player going to ac for the first time

Play the $1-$2 no limit game at the Trop or the Taj. You will have enough money for two buy ins as the $1-$2 game has a max buy in of $300.

If you play limit, I would play $3-$6. I would not feel comfortable playing $6-$12 with only $600.

Enjoy yourself and post a trip report.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:39 PM

I agree, play 1/2 NL. I think it will be a lot closer to the 25NL you are used to than 3/6 or 6/12 would be to the online micro limits.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:47 PM

yeah, if you can play those games online, the 1/2 nl should be easy pickens for you. The borg on the weekend get's some crazy action, if you don't mind the wait.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:58 PM

Oh, you'd be surprised how bad the 3/6 players are.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:25 AM

Maximize the "distance" of your $600 buy-in by purchasing only $125 or $150 when you sit for the 1-2 NL. This will not force much of a strategy change, really. Just tighten up a little initially until you get a good chance to move it all in. There is no major disadvantage in playing NL games with less than the max buy-in, provided you have at least 25 big bets or so (so says Ed Miller in his new book). The one tool you miss out on is the monster bluff raise, but you won't really need that often in the 1-2 games anyhow, where people call 99.9% of the time anyhow.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:12 PM

thanks for all the help everyone.

i just have a question about the limit games. do you mean that the 3/6 games are tougher than the 1/2 games on party? or does it have to do with the rake because i've read that its pretty steep for those limits.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for all the help everyone.

i just have a question about the limit games. do you mean that the 3/6 games are tougher than the 1/2 games on party? or does it have to do with the rake because i've read that its pretty steep for those limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play 1/2 online and I think you will be very comfortable at 3/6. They are somewhat comparable, but 1/2 online is tighter, and a bit more aggressive. By and large you will see some more passive play live at that level.

Get your feet wet first, and don't worry about the rake right now. Mike's 3/6 rec is dead on. 2/4 is a joke both because of the rake and the poor play. Rake doesn't hurt AS bad at 3/6, and the play is similarly bad.

3/6 is the home of either wannabe pros going to speed up the ladder or long time "players" who never learned the value of raising. Well placed aggression confuses and frustrates them.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:57 PM

3/6 is the home of either wannabe pros going to speed up the ladder or long time "players" who never learned the value of raising. Well placed aggression confuses and frustrates them.

..or the home of the player who knows how to play well but wants to "donk" it up by playing and drinking double Jack Daniels and coke with a Corona chaser. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Good info Chuckism.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
..or the home of the player who knows how to play well but wants to "donk" it up by playing and drinking double Jack Daniels and coke with a Corona chaser. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

How could I forget my favorite 3/6 life form. If you didn't include the "knows how to play well" part, that describes me some nights!!!