Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2004, 10:55 AM

Default Poker books comparison?

I was interested to know everyones feelings about The Sklansky and Malmuth books in comparison to Phil Hellmuths book, "Play Poker like the Pro's." I got my start by reading the Sklansky and Malmuth books and have had good results following their strategies. I found Hellmuths book intriguing though. He recommends three betting small pairs and coming out betting on the flop often. His approach seems to be more aggresive than the Sklansky/Malmuth approach. I am feeling maybe a mixture of both Hellmuth and Sklanksy is correct and possibly it depends on the game. What I like about Hellmuths approach is it adds the element of unpredictability. How can someone put you on trip 4's when u flop trips after reraising with a pair of fours. My concern though is how often will this work and I think it depends on the game. Appreciate anyones thoughts about both styles of playing
Old 02-20-2004, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Poker books comparison?

hellmuths book is aweful
Old 02-20-2004, 11:08 AM

I wouldnt say his book are aweful. He has some very good ideas and strategies in his book. The only problem is that he looks at things from his view. He is a superfreak at poker. He can make reads that you and I can not. The only way to learn from the best though is to read the best.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:35 PM

You'll find that most people here will not have much good to say about Helmuth's book.

I've read it and think everyone should just to get a different angle on the game.

I don't think his gameplan will play well for most games, for most players. I think there are probably some games it would work in, but most of us never see these games.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:53 PM

I think Helmuth's book is wonderful... i recommend it to all the people i play against. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2004, 01:06 PM

aweful as in "shock and awe" or aweful as in "aw shucks"
Old 02-20-2004, 01:11 PM

The only thing good in Phil's Book is his player character types. Haha.. I like that... The Mouse, The Elephant, The Lion.. that is good stuff. The rest will not be helpful in any limit games that you are playing.

88.. raise this hand.. it is a top ten hand. Lol, but yeah, I'm probably the only Phil Hellmuth fan on this site, he's actually my second favorite player. At any rate.. the book will not be very helpful if you are playing low limit online.

Old 02-20-2004, 01:35 PM

I do agree with most of your comments. Of course in low limit games, Phils strategies are losers. However I think some of the strategies are good in order to mix up your game and throw some of your opponets off. What happens is that you start to become too predictable and in low limit games you will often be up against "jackals" as Phil calls them or "maniacs" as Sklansky calls them. I feel the aggressive strategies Hellmuth discusses in his book are good for these types of players.

In addition, its all about how well you play from the flop on and if your capable of throwing your hand away when you don't hit. Hellmuth believes this is where reading players comes into play big time is from the flop on.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:43 PM

You very very rarely need to "mix up your game" at the low limits. You will have so many opponents staying in the hand that you will have many opportunities to:

-bet/raise your draws,
-checkraise both your draws and made hands,
-raise preflop with less than group 1 and 2 hands

and make other, assorted varying plays that your opponents shouldn't be able to put you on a narrow range of hands.

This also assumes that your opponents are paying attention, which the vast majority of them will not do.

[ QUOTE ]
In addition, its all about how well you play from the flop on and

[/ QUOTE ]

Hellmuth does a poor job of explaining postflop play, and many of his strategies are clearly wrong. His advice about "raising for information" (with something like JJ on an AK8 board) will be very costly (and is largely unnecessary).

[ QUOTE ]
if your capable of throwing your hand away when you don't hit. Hellmuth believes this is where reading players comes into play big time is from the flop on.

[/ QUOTE ]

He also ignores the size of the pot, and in low-limit holdem (especially if you pump the pot preflop) the pots are frequently large enough that you are forced to call with very marginal hands, even if your superior hand-reading skills tell you your opponent has you beat.