Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 07:08 AM

Default AQo on BB to a SB raise (First in) - River Play

<font color="green">SB is running about 53/12 w/ AF's of 1.3/1.7/1.5 (F/T/R).</font>

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB

<font color="purple">Is this standard?</font>
Old 04-20-2005, 07:57 AM

Default Re: AQo on BB to a SB raise (First in) - River Play

Hmmm interesting river. At first I wrote yeah it's an autoraise. But theres no hand opponent could really have except KQ where that card helps you and not him. I probably just call if I thought about it. In the heat of the moment I probably say TWO PAIR! RAIIIISE!

-Mike
Old 04-20-2005, 10:23 AM

I like just calling down after the flop here with the king on board (betting if checked to). Anyone agree or disagree?
Old 04-20-2005, 10:26 AM

I like just calling down after the flop here with the king on board (betting if checked to). Anyone agree or disagree?

Agree.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a little on the weak tight side this is a blind stealing/blind defense situation with a loose somewhat aggressive villan. I think not raising the river is criminal as a K will definitely pay you off, I don't like the river 3 bet but dem are the breaks. FWIW I play the hand the exact same way.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think not raising the river is criminal as a K will definitely pay you off, I don't like the river 3 bet but dem are the breaks. FWIW I play the hand the exact same way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same

Krishan
Old 04-20-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
think this is a little on the weak tight side this is a blind stealing/blind defense situation with a loose somewhat aggressive villan

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is that this is a scary board for the villain as well and you may make him keep bluffing at you if you just call down whereas if you raise, better hands are all going to 3-bet you and worse hands that he was LAGging it up with might fold where they would have bet into you as a bluff.

I meant call down without improvement, I'd raise the river after calling the flop and turn when rivering two pair.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:09 AM

You need to raise at some point, you have a strong hand with 2nd pair top kicker in a headsup blind battle. I would either raise the flop or call the flop raise the turn here. I think you are underestimating the range of hands that a lag is holding here and will pay you off if you're ahead, which is a large majority of the time.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:12 AM

Yeah when I first replied I didn't notice he opened from SB. I favour a turn raise here, I hate getting 3-bet so much though.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I favour a turn raise here, I hate getting 3-bet so much though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't like a turn raise here. I'd much rather cap the flop and play from there.

Krishan