Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Does anyone daytrade Index Futures

Keep in mind that for simulating, you'll probably want to add 1 tick slippage per RT to what the real trade might have done. This is because simulators(most) aren't using FIFO, so you can fake like you are getting filled when you might be way back in the real queue.

Also, make sure to take into account commissions. If you are trading on a retail futs account, you'll be paying anywhere from $3 - 5 per roundturn. This makes a huge difference depending on your timeframe. Futs scalpers really need to have a seat on the exchange or lease one in order to get dirt cheap commissions. These guys are paying under 30 cents per roundturn - this is what you are up against.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Does anyone daytrade Index Futures

I think one of the main reasons why you find more/faster blowups with new futures traders is leverage. Most people don't understand risk and how to manage it. A lot of brokers allow you to trade 1 ES(S&P 500 fut) contract for $500 margin. If you are really trading at that ratio, you are nuts and bound to blowup. The futures market moves fast and given the natural leverage of the market, undercapitalized accounts(5k, even 10k) can't afford many mistakes.

For those who are consistently profitable, futures leverage is definitely an advantage.

The competition is tougher(from what I hear) trading futures. Certainly, the rewards are also bigger than trading stocks. You'll find stock traders who can't adjust to futures complaining that the futs are too efficient, especially the ES. Definitely more efficient but just requires harder study to find exploitable edges. Lastly(though I myself don't like this argument), stocks benefit from the natural +EV environment while futs are zero sum and in fact negative after commissions. Oh, and that reminds me about relative commission disadvantage for retail accounts when trading futs. These are just some things to consider.