Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Table momentum?

Just noticing a trend that seems to happen while im playing. If i start losing a significant amount (15+BBs) at one table, i generally continue to lose at that table until the deck throws easy/winning hands at me.

My mood/playstyle doesnt vary from table to table..seeing as i play 4 at once. So the only explaination I can come up with is that the rest of the room will assume i'm a bad player when they see me losing, and take alot more stabs at me accordingly. Going through my HHs, i've noticed a lot more donkbets aimed my way. Especially at the tables where i lose 30+BBs.

I can never really pull myself away from these tables when there is a 70/30 sitting to my right, but I'm starting to think that the negative momentum might hurt more than finding another table with less profitable players.

Does anybody regularly practice leaving tables where they are running bad?

Just a thought...
Old 08-19-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Table momentum?

I don't have much to add, but I agree. When I sit down and establish a dominating image, I have a much easier time. I gain folding equity and players seem less eager to play back at me. I don't think it makes a large difference against the 20/14 or 30/20 types, but you should seek to avoid them anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just noticing a trend that seems to happen while im playing. If i start winning a significant amount (15+BBs) at one table, i generally start to lose at that table unless the deck starts throwing easy/winning hands at me.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

(selective memory)
Old 08-19-2005, 06:06 PM

do you think it would be worth leaving an especially juicy table if losing badly?
Old 08-19-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you think it would be worth leaving an especially juicy table if losing badly?

[/ QUOTE ]

no. reload.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:10 PM

I dont understand...You're saying its the other way around for me? or for you.

Its not selective memory...im going through my database at this very moment.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:44 PM

Yes... there is something to momentum. It can effect you in many ways. The biggest ones (or at least the biggest ones that hit me) were:

1. Loss of psychological edge.

It's easy to get a defeatist's attitude and think you're going to lose all the time and you lose confidence. This will change your playing style. Fearing that you will always lose your chips will make you bleed chips by not raising at the right situations.

This is similar to just a general loss of confidence that happens when you're just treading water.

Either way... just play your best and be happy with how you are playing. If you are playing a decent strategy, then it doesn't matter what a single session/table or multiple sessions/tables do. Life is one big session, yada yada yada.

2. Not able to adjust for table conditions.

You must realize what other's perceive of how your playing. If you're playing on tilt (see point 1), they can take advantage of that. If you have been losing many hands in a row, they will take advantage of that. If you have been raising pf a bunch and laying down on the turn to flop/turn aggression, they will take advantage of that. Be able to change your game up to counteract this.

Both of the above points are made because I've been there... done that... fixed it (hopefully).

I've had to buy in 4 times on a single table (5/10 6-max) before. I was getting a metric ton of great 2nd best hands, but couldn't leave, because the table was just too good.

Just my 2 cents.... btw... don't look through your database to collect data on these things. It will only bring you to false conclusions like this one.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:09 PM

Dudes limping in with 5-8 will make up for any image problem you have.