Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 08:38 AM

Default 2 mid PP in the blinds vs steal attempt.

Before, I was defending my blinds too much, now just the opposite. Trying to find that middle ground... then I ran into these last night....

Both hands are PP 5/10 6-max

Both tables, I have a tight table image, due to getting cold-decked for the past 45 minutes.

Hand 1:

<font color="green">Button is running about 40/12 and is fairly aggressive post flop if he raised pf, even if he misses.

BB is fairly LP... about 45/2 w/ no post flop aggression. Sees showdown more than 65% of the time.</font>

I'm in the SB w/ 66. Button raises first in... I 3-bet.

Hand 2:

<font color="green">Button is half-way decent... about 29/14. A little too loose, but good post-flop.

SB is fairly maniacal. He was running about 65/24, but about 15 hands before, he ran into a bad beat (boat over flush). Since then, he has been raising/3-betting/capping everything pf. Post-flop, he would calm down a little, but he's still steamin.</font>

I'm in the BB w/ 88. Button raises, first in, SB 3-bets.... I fold.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Re: 2 mid PP in the blinds vs steal attempt.

Hand 1: This is probibly close to a neuteral EV decision to either raise or threebet. As long as I have a decent table image I would threebet this.
Hand 2: You have to at least call here. You are getting 4.5:1 and likely have the best hand. If you called and only played it if you flop a set or some other favorable flop such as all undercards of only one overcard you could play this hand profitably.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:49 AM

Hand 1 I play it the same.

Hand 2 IMO you need to do whatever you can to knock out the button and get it heads up with the SB and position. If you think he will fold if you cap preflop I would cap it, if not I would call and raise a great majority of the flops assuming a probable lead by the sb. I definitely don't like folding given your description of the sb.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2: You have to at least call here. You are getting 4.5:1 and likely have the best hand. If you called and only played it if you flop a set or some other favorable flop such as all undercards of only one overcard you could play this hand profitably.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 IMO you need to do whatever you can to knock out the button and get it heads up with the SB and position. If you think he will fold if you cap preflop I would cap it, if not I would call and raise a great majority of the flops assuming a probable lead by the sb. I definitely don't like folding given your description of the sb.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't like the decision I made here. I felt that if I played it, I needed to cap, and didn't feel right about capping 88. Oddly enough, my initial reaction was to cap, but after thinking about it for a couple seconds, I chickened out.

I don't think that calling even crossed my mind here. I don't see how I'm getting 4.5:1. Button raised, SB 3-bet. If the button just calls here, I'm getting 7:2 or 3.5:1 (not good enough to spike set). If button caps (which is quite possible), I'm getting 9:3 or 3:1.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:20 AM

You are putting 2 bets into what will usually be a 9sb pot hence getting 4.5:1 in a pot that is likely to be played aggressively. If you had pocked twos you could argue for a fold as just playing it for a set might be close to neutral ev, but 88 will win unimproved sometimes to so this is what makes it an easy call. A cap would be fine as well, but I would usually just call here with 88 and look for a favorable flop, maybe cap with 99.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:24 AM

Hand 1 is tricky because you might be able to move the button off overcards, but BB ain't going no where if he catches a piece of the flop. I raise pre and hope the BB dumps, if not, it is tricky and I would really like to see a showdown.

Hand 2 seems like a great oppurtunity. Call preflop and raise the steaming SB on the flop. Hopefully Button jettisons and you can figure out how you want to get to showdown against a poor tilting player with position.

cjx
Old 04-08-2005, 10:40 AM

Hand 1 I 3-bet as well.

Hand 2 I'd likely cap although cold-calling and raising most flops seems like a decent alternative. Either way I think it's a bad fold.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:26 AM

Well you canīt fold either hand in this situation.
If BB will come along most of the time even when you 3bet preflop in the first, then I may flatcall.

Number two is ATLEAST a call, if button sometimes will fold if you cap, then cap and get HU with position, dead money a hand you can showdown, which probably is better than SBs..
Itīs a very good spot.

If button never fold for two more in this spot, then I call or cap depending what I think his range is, probably still cap.

Folding is just awfull [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I think Iīd play 22..