Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 07:23 AM

Default A few $22 hands i\'d like to get some responses on

Been reading this Forum for nearly a year but never never hand to time to post. Anyways, I currently multi-table 20's and have ran into some heavy variance [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. Here are a couple of hands i'd like to receive some opinions on.

Hand 1: #Game No : 2350984277
***** Hand History for Game 2350984277 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Trny:13865702 Level:2 Blinds(15/30) - Tuesday, July 12, 06:34:19 EDT 2005
Table Table 13769 (Real Money)
Seat 10 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 3: Gabrainos ( $710 )
Seat 4: ray68008 ( $860 )
Seat 6: JMKPUNTER ( $670 )
Seat 2: fosty ( $420 )
Seat 5: DeKay2 ( $375 )
Seat 1: homesig ( $740 )
Seat 9: bricktwo ( $1060 )
Seat 10: doe_jai ( $1020 )
Seat 8: QxKrAzYbOi ( $650 )
Seat 7: baldguy55 ( $1495 )
Trny:13865702 Level:2
Blinds(15/30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to homesig [ Kh Ad ]
Gabrainos folds.
ray68008 folds.
DeKay2 folds.
JMKPUNTER folds.
baldguy55 folds.
QxKrAzYbOi folds.
bricktwo raises [90].
doe_jai folds.
homesig is all-In [725]

Reasoning: I didn't want to take a flop with ak outta position. If i just call and miss the flop I am in no poision to raise because I showed no strength preflop with call. I also have no real read on opponent.

Hand 2: #Game No : 2350806999
***** Hand History for Game 2350806999 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Trny:13864773 Level:7 Blinds(150/300) - Tuesday, July 12, 04:48:49 EDT 2005
Table Table 13823 (Real Money)
Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 1: homesig ( $1030 )
Seat 3: DaG_MoNeY ( $2600 )
Seat 7: imadadof2 ( $3280 )
Seat 8: mex666 ( $1090 )
Trny:13864773 Level:7
Blinds(150/300)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to homesig [ Ad 9d ]
>You have options at Table 13971 Table!.
imadadof2 folds.
mex666 is all-In [1090]
homesig is all-In [880]
DaG_MoNeY folds.

Reasoning: Well the other smaller stack pushed from the button two times earlier in similar situations. I figured my A8s is prolly at worse a coinflip and I'd rather not try to steal from the bigstacks for the 3rd consecutive time.

Hand 3: NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Trny:13865441 Level:7 Blinds(150/300) - Tuesday, July 12, 06:12:03 EDT 2005
Table Table 13824 (Real Money)
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 9: homesig ( $1825 )
Seat 7: strangefaces ( $955 )
Seat 1: shadinho ( $2090 )
Seat 2: Conoclaz ( $2340 )
Seat 6: MeeesterHat ( $790 )
Trny:13865441 Level:7
Blinds(150/300)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to homesig [ 4c 7s ]
shadinho folds.
Conoclaz folds.
MeeesterHat is all-In [790]
strangefaces folds.
homesig folds.

Reasoning: It 47 and the opponent is a tight aggressive player. Is calling with any two an option here? This hand really ate me up because i ended up bubbling out with 33 vs aa a few hands later.

Thank you for responses
Old 07-12-2005, 07:30 AM

Default Re: A few $22 hands i\'d like to get some responses on

Hand 1: I really dont see the point of pushing this so early when you still have a healthy stack. These players are going to make a lot of mistakes later on as the blinds go up. I call preflop, and push a lot of flops.

Hand 2: I'm calling this allin, but hating it when I lose. If he's a good player, I hate calling it a lot less.

Hand 3: This seems like a pretty clear fold. Even if you have odds for it, the times you lose it's going to cripple your stack. If you fold, you're in the SB against the smallstack net hand, and then on the button with 3.5BB, and plenty of fold equity.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:54 AM

Hand 1: Recently I've been calling these to get some post flop play, but pushing is fine too.

Hand 2: I'd call this, especially if the villain have been pushing much.

Hand 3: I'd fold this, even without the TA read.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: Recently I've been calling these to get some post flop play, but pushing is fine too.

[/ QUOTE ]

What happened to the good advice that used to be in the SNG forum a year or so ago? Pushing here is idiotic, who are you saabpo? He bumps it to T90 then bump it back to around T180-T225 make him make the call on you. Are you that poor postflop that you need to push this preflop? I sure hope not, otherwise quit now. You have a few options on the flop after this reraise all of which are perfectly fine in given situations (all assuming you miss the flop, if you hit it should be straight forward).

1 - Fire a continuation bet out there of approx 1/3 the pot to check on villian and/or attempt to take pot down

2 - Check raise any flop

3 - Check/Fold

4 - Fire a very small (relative to pot size) probe bet to see where villian stands

Any of these plays if far superior to pushing as they will give you added value on your AK. Raising all-in preflop on a T90 raise will net you T90 most of the time, however, a smaller raise and superior postflop play will net you far far more in the long run. Good luck!

P.S. If you are more than adequate postflop I dont mind the call here, however, I think you are giving up value and more importantly (since you are out of position) you are giving up the lead in the hand.
~Justin
Old 07-12-2005, 08:39 AM

Hand 1 - I reraise to somewhere in the neighborhood of t215. Folding obviously isn't an option and if there had been an early raiser with a bunch of callers, then I don't mind a push. Getting heads up w/ AK though, you shouldn't mind seeing a flop. Try to get more value out of it than this.

Calling is probably the 2nd best option, but again, I don't like it as much as re-raising, especially after an open raise from the button.

Hand 2 - I think you have to call. Also pray. That's how you have to play this hand.

Hand 3 - Fold. 74 is just too weak.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:13 AM

I agree with all of the above.

If you are at 15/30 blinds, there's been a limper, and SB raises to 100, and you have around 700 chips, that is the time to push all-in with AK. Not here.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What happened to the good advice that used to be in the SNG forum a year or so ago? Pushing here is idiotic, who are you saabpo? He bumps it to T90 then bump it back to around T180-T225 make him make the call on you. Are you that poor postflop that you need to push this preflop? I sure hope not, otherwise quit now. You have a few options on the flop after this reraise all of which are perfectly fine in given situations (all assuming you miss the flop, if you hit it should be straight forward).

1 - Fire a continuation bet out there of approx 1/3 the pot to check on villian and/or attempt to take pot down

2 - Check raise any flop

3 - Check/Fold

4 - Fire a very small (relative to pot size) probe bet to see where villian stands

Any of these plays if far superior to pushing as they will give you added value on your AK. Raising all-in preflop on a T90 raise will net you T90 most of the time, however, a smaller raise and superior postflop play will net you far far more in the long run. Good luck!

P.S. If you are more than adequate postflop I dont mind the call here, however, I think you are giving up value and more importantly (since you are out of position) you are giving up the lead in the hand.
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

With deeper stacks I'd make my standard reraise.

I don't have much experience at the 22's, but the 11's are filled with donks who are willing to call level 1 preflop all-in with any ace. So far I haven't seen that many of these at the 22's, but there are some.

If I reraise, I like it to be about 3 times the original raise. That would be 270 and that's about one third of my stack and that's close to what I'd rather push.

Making it 90 more for the original raiser doesn't have enough FE and one reason to raise is to win the pot without contest

If I reraise, I'm going to call a push -> I'd rather be the one pushing first

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I raise and get called, I don't like 1/3 pot continuation bet at all (if you intend to fold).

Let's say you'll make it 200 preflop and bet 150 on flop. Villain pushes and you fold. You have less than 400 chips left.

I'd push any flop after that kind of preflop raise. This might be better than pushing preflop.

If I want to be able to give up this hand and still be able to play, I'd rather call preflop and bet ~90 on any flop. If I have to fold I still have 550 chips left.

[ QUOTE ]

2 - Check raise any flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Again if the pot is ~400 chips, it's more likely the villain will push it. Hard to check/raise after that.

I think calling is better if you intend to do that.

[ QUOTE ]

3 - Check/Fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should I raise preflop if I'm going to check/fold against one opponent? If I raise with AK, I'm going to make a continuation bet on any flop.

BTW: If I disagree with someone, I like to explain my reasoning behind it, rather than call that other person idiot.