Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-22-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Blinds...Help!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Play it more aggressively and it's win small, win big... and lose to a donk 10% of the time when he sucks out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree I didn't play the hand aggressively enough...
but for sake of discussion...

If I check-raise to ...ooh...1250 or if I lead out for say 500ish...

Aren't I just telling weak Queens and any 9 to rightly fold? Playing it the way I did...I fully expected to get paid off by any Queen and most 9s from this particular fish.

Now maybe THIS time there WAS a monster under the bed... but shouldn't I be more concerned with the higher percentage of the time I can really take the villain for a ride than with the lower percentage of the time the villain holds one of those draws - in his 2 random card big blind?

(More often than not there is no monster under that bed!)

I'm still missing some philosophical piece of the puzzle here...(as to the reasoning of playing the hand aggro like against the big blind....)

What hands pay me off if I do?

Though the aggro would have the benefit of making it "incorrect" for draws to call...and the comfort of knowing that I at least got my money in good...

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, the donks will come along anyway, because they don't understand pot odds.

If you fold out a good player, you're still happy, because you've won a nice pot, and he wasn't going to invest any more chips anyway unless he hit his draw.

So it's good either way.

Also, note JT isn't the only MUTB here, any broadway card falls and you have to be worried about a higher two pair.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:47 PM

While I *know* you guys are right...I still have ticks in my head about playing this aggro-like...

Upon further reflection...I think my FPS is kicking in.

You guys are of course right.

Thanks for walking me through it.

(...more discussion welcome though...)

Incidentally...What do you think of the turn/river play after my flop mis-play?

I shoulda block-bet the river?
Old 12-22-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Incidentally...What do you think of the turn/river play after my flop mis-play?

I shoulda block-bet the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, you can argue for a turn bet or check/raise and hope for the best.

I don't like a blocking bet on the river because I don't think he's going anywhere and it just gets me even more pot-committed if he value-raises.

So if I got in that spot, I guess I would play it like you did. Just try to get to showdown as cheaply as possible.