Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 05:37 AM

Default Re: clangs

[ QUOTE ]
so all i needed to do was represent in his mind that i had one of those big cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

All you really need to do is catch him with a hand that (in his mind) can't win a showdown...like T8s.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
im with you on this one tommy.

couple weeks ago. i have 64o in the bb mirage 20-40 short handed new game. sb doesnt chop. folded to him he raises, i call. the flop is KQ3, he bets, i call. the turn is a Q. he checks, i bet, he folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

i use this line all the time online.

[/ QUOTE ]

i use this line online sometimes as well, but i prefer to do it on drawless boards. i think the move is less reliable on a KQ board because there are gutshot draws. if im going to make this play its probably going to be on a K83r board. i dont think ive ever done what tommy did in this hand though.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:58 AM

I like the way tommy played this hand.

blake
Old 10-28-2005, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope Tommy's critics read his post carefully. Each paragraph.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would prefer they don't. Makes my games easier.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:24 AM

The difference I see is that your opponent bet the flop. I'm not quite sure how you determined that he hadn't anything, other than your table presence and person-reading ability (which is, of course, plenty to go on, given your abilities in both areas). Tommy, though, had the advantage of the checked flop, which enabled him to figure the turn bet as probably a draw (if not an out-and-out bluff).

One thing I think that's important about your hand is that we sometimes give up too easily on the flop for one small bet, especially head-up. Against a guy who'll always follow through on a pre-flop raise with a flop bet, and is passive enough to check/fold the turn unimproved, it can indeed be quite profitable, with position, to just call on the flop and bet if he checks the turn. If he bets the turn, then you have the option of folding (most of the time) or, if convinced he's got air, raising.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The difference I see is that your opponent bet the flop. I'm not quite sure how you determined that he hadn't anything, other than your table presence and person-reading ability (which is, of course, plenty to go on, given your abilities in both areas). Tommy, though, had the advantage of the checked flop, which enabled him to figure the turn bet as probably a draw (if not an out-and-out bluff).

[/ QUOTE ]
In Tommy's case they were checking to the preflop raiser. In a lot of games, this does not give that much information about the strength or weakness of their hands than the flop bet does in Mike's hand.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:28 PM

"All you really need to do is catch him with a hand that (in his mind) can't win a showdown...like T8s."

right but keep in mind that given the way i played the hand he is forced to throw away many A high hands as well, although he may call down with AJ and AT, since he will feel compelled to call a turn bet with those. every other non-pair hand will have trouble calling down though.

right now good players tend to play this way a lot: smooth call on flop heads up=good hand. raise=weak hand.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:35 PM

it wasnt as much a feeling that he had nothing as a narrowing of his hand range to about 95% of all possible hands and the subsequent immediate realisation that "hey there's close to little chance he has a hand that really likes that flop."

one other thing is i think that shorthanded early in a session it's smart to play somewhat randomly when choosing between raising and calling with all hands ranging from weak to huge. the chances you will be getting in heads up situations repeatedly with the same players is strong so you can really exploit some seemingly "bad" play by you early on in your favor later. people are quick to make assumptions and slow to change them once made.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:54 PM

Maybe, but they tend to do this less in shorthanded games, and at these stakes than at lower limit ring games. Also, I would think his opponents know that Tommy doesn't autobet in this spot.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:57 PM

"the chances you will be getting in heads up situations repeatedly with the same players is strong so you can really exploit some seemingly "bad" play by you early on in your favor later. people are quick to make assumptions and slow to change them once made."

nh. While I'm only an occasional shorthanded player, these metagame considerations do seem much more important shorthanded. Thanks.