Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Confusing update in CardPlayer\'s WSOP coverage

I think this is just a typo, but if not then I'm having problems reading a hold 'em board hence why I'm posting this in Beginners. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Log: Andy Bellan, author of Poker Nation, goes all-in preflop with A-Q and is called by 5-5. When the board comes 9-7-9-9-2, the pocket 5's are counterfeited, and out of genuine distaste for the beat he board put on his opponent he says "Unf____ing believeable!" The pocket 5's are eliminated, and Bellan doubles up, but the dealer immediately calls for the floor to report the cussing. So while Bellan stays alive, he's forced to sit out for the next 10 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link to CP's WSOP coverage

OK, I don't get this. As it's reported, the loser made nines full of fives and the "winner" made trip nines with ace-queen kickers. Given the exclamation, I'm guessing they meant to say the board was 9-9-9-9-2, because otherwise I don't see how the 5s would be counterfeited unless an ace or queen came.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Re: Confusing update in CardPlayer\'s WSOP coverage

or if one of the 9's was a 7. 7-7-9-9-2 board would make AQ win.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:16 PM

Poker's real tricky! Sometimes black is white, and vice versa.

Applied my limited understanding of preflop raises today, and took my $1.00 to $1.98 in less than 30 hands about 5 minutes ago. Thought I'd look you up and tell you!

Stats from PS: 1/3 on BB, 2/3 on SB, and 2/20 with others. That's being in 10% of hands, when not in the blinds. Overall, I was in 19% of hands. I won 2 of 2 showdowns, and no pots without. I took notes of all sorts about all the players... I was especially interested in a couple of fellows who raised preflop (to start things), and then folded later. I decided one guy just loved to bluff, since he showed his cards after bluffing a preflop raiser right out of the hand, and then showed 72u, just to rub it in! I put a brief description of that into my notes... Might help down the line!

Dave
Old 07-09-2005, 12:48 AM

I think a 77999 board would be a split pot.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:20 AM

Looks like they fixed it.

Date / Time: 2005-07-08 17:40:00
Title: Brief Coma After a New Life
Log: Andy Bellan, author of Poker Nation, goes all-in preflop with A-Q and is called by 5-5. When the board comes 9-7-9-7-2, the pocket 5's are counterfeited, and out of genuine distaste for the beat the board put on his opponent he says "Unf____ing believeable!" The pocket 5's are eliminated, and Bellan doubles up, but the dealer immediately calls for the floor to report the cussing. So while Bellan stays alive, he's forced to sit out for the next 10 minutes.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:19 PM

Yep, not sure why two pair didn't occur to me, since that's the most common counterfeit scenario in Hold 'em. Guess my brain just has a need to complicate the simple. Or maybe I'm still smarting from the bad beat given me once at Oceans Eleven where I had QQ, my opponent had Ax, and the board came JxJ-J-J. Ouch.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker's real tricky! Sometimes black is white, and vice versa.

Applied my limited understanding of preflop raises today, and took my $1.00 to $1.98 in less than 30 hands about 5 minutes ago. Thought I'd look you up and tell you!

Stats from PS: 1/3 on BB, 2/3 on SB, and 2/20 with others. That's being in 10% of hands, when not in the blinds. Overall, I was in 19% of hands. I won 2 of 2 showdowns, and no pots without. I took notes of all sorts about all the players... I was especially interested in a couple of fellows who raised preflop (to start things), and then folded later. I decided one guy just loved to bluff, since he showed his cards after bluffing a preflop raiser right out of the hand, and then showed 72u, just to rub it in! I put a brief description of that into my notes... Might help down the line!

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, Ok. What does any of this have to do with the post? Congratulations on winning 98 cents though.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Another

This one not as bad:

[ QUOTE ]
2003 Main Event World Champion Chris Moneymaker moves all in from the small blind with 7h-2h, and is called by Jeremy Khinoo who holds A-K. The board comes K-Q-3-3-Q, and Moneymaker is sent home on Day 2 by Jeremy Khinoo's two pair with the ace kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming this report is accurate, Khinoo did indeed have two pair, kings and queens, with an ace kicker. Moneymaker also had two pair, queens and treys with a seven kicker. But they make it sound like Khinoo won by virtue of the kicker, which of course isn't the case.