Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Harrington MTT Strategy?

I know many experienced players here will find this post uninformative, but I'm curious to find out about your MTT experiences so that I may compare my own results and strategies.

I recently got Harrington's on Hold Em Vol1 and decided to employ some of his strategies on play (tweaked a bit) and see the results.

Prior to reading the book, I've played mostly low buy in ($5-10) tourneys. I haven't kept exact statistics of my results, but I have played in probably about 70 or so tourney's and would conservatively estimate I cash about 25% of the time. I have made 5 final tables and have two 2nd and one 3rd place finish. I figure these results are probably typical for the relative newcomer - in each of the cases I did really well, I got good cards, good flops, and didn't get drawn out on often.

Anyway, after about 10 tourney's using Harrington's conservative system at low limits I've found that his recommended betting patterns (using fractional pot-sized bets) gives me a much better idea of my opponent's holding, but also tends to decrease the size of pots that I take down. For instance, I no longer open raise to 300 with aces when the blinds are $25-50, so if I do get action, the pots tend to be smaller. Thus, I find that unless I'm running hot, my chip stack tends to be about 15-20x the BB by mid-tournament.

What normally occurs if I am medium stacked: I play super-tight in the mid-game stretch, stealing occasionally during the bubble, but usually just playing strong pre/post flop with good hands. I muck Ax suited, KQ, KJ, and small pairs OOP, trying to preseve as many of my chips for double up situations, etc. The result of this strategy is that my fate (final table or better) is normally decided by 1 or 2 coin flips. I feel this strategy, while probably profitable at low-limit MTTs, isn't really advancing my tourney game... It makes my decisions more mechanical and I often arrive late in the tourney with a minimum of chips.

Do you think it is better to be aggressive in the opening stages in attempt to build a chip stack that can last to the final table or employ the conservative route, limping along, staying a bit ahead of the blinds and hope for a card rush/luck during the endgame?
Old 07-25-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Harrington MTT Strategy?

Read volume II, it will answer your questions.

Also, it is very likely that you were just extremely lucky in your first 70 or so tournaments and/or unlucky in your last 10. You really cant tell anything based on those numbers
Old 07-25-2005, 05:49 PM

Harrington generally advises you to bet so that your opponents make marginal errors by calling. In the early stages of $5-10 MTTs, many of your opponents will make big errors calling big bets. Raising to 300 with AA and the blinds at 25/50 could be fine depending on the table.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What normally occurs if I am medium stacked: I play super-tight in the mid-game stretch, stealing occasionally during the bubble, but usually just playing strong pre/post flop with good hands. I muck Ax suited, KQ, KJ, and small pairs OOP, trying to preseve as many of my chips for double up situations, etc. The result of this strategy is that my fate (final table or better) is normally decided by 1 or 2 coin flips. I feel this strategy, while probably profitable at low-limit MTTs, isn't really advancing my tourney game... It makes my decisions more mechanical and I often arrive late in the tourney with a minimum of chips.

Do you think it is better to be aggressive in the opening stages in attempt to build a chip stack that can last to the final table or employ the conservative route, limping along, staying a bit ahead of the blinds and hope for a card rush/luck during the endgame?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Harrington's strategy recommended playing tight in the early rounds but opening up your game during those middle rounds in order to accumulate chips by taking advantage of those players who tighten up as the bubble approaches ...
Old 07-25-2005, 10:13 PM

It does. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[I] would conservatively estimate I cash about 25% of the time. I have made 5 final tables and have two 2nd and one 3rd place finish. I figure these results are probably typical for the relative newcomer

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about?

These figures are absolutely unrealistic for most players.

Get a grip and start keeping records!

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)