Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: How valuable would a $215 coach really be?

SNG's also offer a little more protection against colusion as well. Colluding at a SNG is far less profitable than it is in a ring game. Running the numbers (215's) 2 people would need to place at least one player ITM 75% just for an ROI of abt 2%. The potential for collusion is the biggest reason I have chosen SNG's over the cash games.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ive coached one player and they went on to do fairly well in both the 100s and 200s. It's not something I do anymore because its just not worth the time usually, I'd rather be playing myself. Also the best way to learn poker is not by getting some expert to teach you what to do in certain spots, but by learning how to think and adapt to certain situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. It might be good to pay a top player for liek 1 or 2 lessons to help teach you how to think. But to get constant and regular training seems like a bad idea to me. Anyone who is willing to do that for a cheap price is almost surely not qualified to do so. There are exceptions to this rule, but in general I wouldn't trust that anyone's true win rate is much higher than whatever they are charging for lessons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, teaching someone to play would get them about as far as showing them this site. If they are willing to listen to you and absorb, they could do their own research for free. Experience is everything, showing someone what to do in a certain situation without understanding and "knowing" exactly why, will be misapplied so much by the student that it will end up costing them.

A coach would get someone as far as "how to beat the 10s". All of the subtleties are best learned on your own.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SNG's also offer a little more protection against colusion as well. Colluding at a SNG is far less profitable than it is in a ring game. Running the numbers (215's) 2 people would need to place at least one player ITM 75% just for an ROI of abt 2%. The potential for collusion is the biggest reason I have chosen SNG's over the cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

collusion in the 215s could be quite effective actually. having one less person to fear a push from or to harass your blinds makes all of the difference in the world. your 75% number is wrong btw.

a side note on the collusion thing.. the reason more people dont do it is because its much more effective (and ethical) to just add tables. holla
Old 09-06-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I want to be a coach....

I'll only charge $5k at the 100+9 level [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give you $50 and I'll buy some beer and rated R movie tickets and stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

$75 and a rated X movie [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG OMG OMG OMG
Old 09-07-2005, 12:02 AM

Default Re: after reading some posts, this raises some questions---

[ QUOTE ]
as to who would be qualified to actually [coach]! one of my main issues is how the training would actually be setup, what the arrangements would be, and how much would he/she would be motivated to see me succeed. it kills me to think of paying that kind of money when my coach is more interested in nearly 100-150 buy-ins that he's getting rather than how much he/she can help me or whether they can at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the best arrangement is half fixed fee, like 10K, then the other half from a certain percentage of your first 1000 215s after the coaching. but either way, I think it is pretty hard to establish this kind of arrangement mainly due to the information asymmetry problem. a top-notch SNG player may not be willing to coach even for such a high tuition. and on the other end lots of people may not be able to justify the tuition either because they are very smart or they are dumb. for very smart people, they are able to learn the game fast enough - so 20K or 30K is not worth it for them. for dumb people, no matter how much they spend and how good the coach is, they may never be able to beat the game. so i think only a small group of people can really benefit,i.e., those people who just need some guidance to be on the right track to beat the game. without some coaching, they may lose their whole bankroll along with their self-confidence and may quit the higher-limit SNG forever.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:42 AM

I'm tired from travelling and cant read the whole thread, but what I have read I havent seen this addressed, so here goes:

If I pay the greatest violinest in the world, making a bizzilain bucks a year, $30k to teach me, It has very little to do with how succesfully I can play the violin. I would still suck!

Poker ability is tied to an odd mix of intellectual, psycological and emotional ability. You can't buy it. You can work hard to develop it, but the greatest teacher on earth won't turn you into a concert violinest in a month, and they wont turn you into a polished poker pro either. Teaching won't hurt, and might speed the learning some, but your tone shows that your expectations for what a teacher will be able to do for your are wildly unrealistic.

Steve

(and no Irie, crappy spelling and typing doesnt have anything to do with it either [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])