Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Re: How valuable would a $215 coach really be?

[ QUOTE ]
Can you top 20K a month...I doubt it

[/ QUOTE ]

if you mean me, no. but there's no guarantee that paying a $20-$30K fee for someone to teach you to play the $215s means you'll clear $20K a month either.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would say it is worth it only if the following conditions hold;
1. You are really serious about beating the 215s, i.e., you wanna become a SNG pro and make a living on that.
2. you play relatively poor right now or a total novice which means the room for improvement is big
3.the guy who will coach you is truly a top-notch player who has played at least 3000-4000 215s and had a solid track record and he is willing to teach you everything he knows about this game. he also has to be a top-notch coach

but still, i would not be comfortable to charge my friend or relative that kind of hefty tuition

[/ QUOTE ]

so take a guy like me who plays $5, $11, and sometimes $22 SNGs [both 1- and 2-table]. i have played probably at least 1000 in my career with decent but not overwhelming success. do you think it would be to my benefit to pay that amount of money in order to make that leap [let's say i had the money]?
Old 09-04-2005, 07:11 PM

fwiw, I would quickly pay someone $30,000 if they could make make me into a 15% roi $215er.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would say it is worth it only if the following conditions hold;
1. You are really serious about beating the 215s, i.e., you wanna become a SNG pro and make a living on that.
2. you play relatively poor right now or a total novice which means the room for improvement is big
3.the guy who will coach you is truly a top-notch player who has played at least 3000-4000 215s and had a solid track record and he is willing to teach you everything he knows about this game. he also has to be a top-notch coach

but still, i would not be comfortable to charge my friend or relative that kind of hefty tuition

[/ QUOTE ]

so take a guy like me who plays $5, $11, and sometimes $22 SNGs [both 1- and 2-table]. i have played probably at least 1000 in my career with decent but not overwhelming success. do you think it would be to my benefit to pay that amount of money in order to make that leap [let's say i had the money]?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. If the coach's skills transferred directly to you, it might be, but I think a sheer lack of experience at those levels may result in you losing, even with an excellent coach. I think that over a long period of time you might become a solid winner, but you'll still be a losing player for a while.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:19 PM

I'm going to step into controversial territory and say that with any coach its unlikely that you would be able to beat the $215s in just a months training. Like many things in life, it seems like poker success is a mixture of hard work and predisposition. Some people are just naturally good at the game and I bet that every player who has risen to the $215s in under 6 months time has both worked hard at it and been gifted with natural talent.

I don't mean to put you down in any way or say that you can't be a top notch poker player, but with where you're at right now it would probably be a better investment to get a solid $55-$109 player for a much lower (although still hefty) rate than one of the top $215 players.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:21 PM

voltron, can you show how much more valuable cash games are than sngs?

i think per table cash games are probably more profitable, but sngs seem a lot easier to multi table well
Old 09-04-2005, 07:27 PM

Continuing on with the hijack, I think the cash games and SNGs offer similar $/hr for similarly skilled players with similar bankrolls. Cash games go into much higher stakes though.

Possibly the factor that makes cash games more profitable is rakeback though. I don't know for sure but I think the cash game players are getting a lot more rakeback.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw, I would quickly pay someone $30,000 if they could make make me into a 15% roi $215er.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting. Not that I can help you but knowing that you play that level I am curious what your ROI currently is.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:43 PM

"now, my question is it worth it to pay $20-$30,000 in order to be coached and taught how to beat the $215s or better?"

It probally is. If you go the 'free' route and teach yourself, then it'll take much longer to develop the skills than if you have someone guiding you and explaining everything. The extra income you make by getting to that skill level quicker probally outweighs the initial cost of the coaching. Course this is assuming you have the money to pay the coach, and some leftovers for a bankroll.

I'd prefer this sort of deal at shorthanded/HU NL ring though.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you top 20K a month...I doubt it

[/ QUOTE ]

can i? no. can the top 1020 players, not to mention the bigger games? yeah. definitely.