Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 04:17 AM

Default Super Tuesday Tournament Report

Again, thanks for the support everyone. I love it when people cheer for me at the table.

Super Tuesday Tournament Report
Old 05-04-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Super Tuesday Tournament Report

I always love reading these reports, keep em' comin.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:57 AM

Well played Justin, not much you can do about the hands you lost. Just keep in mind that while you were unlucky to lose those 3 hands, you were probably just as lucky (possibly moreso) to get the hands that you did. 3 AAs in 20 hands? Yikes!

EIther way, gj as usual. You'll pull a 1st sooner than later I'm sure.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:20 AM

love reading your reports.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:34 AM

"There’s no beat too unlikely for ZeeJustin to take!"

LOL
Old 05-04-2005, 11:39 AM

I would be interested to know your thought process on a hand near the bubble. Gator93 limped, another limper. Blinds were 200/400 and you had a large stack for the table. You had a QJo and raised to $2000.

Was this simply an isolation play to get it heads up with Gator. He's a decent player, you had to put him on something like a medium pair or a suited A, etc. You ruled out a big A and most of the big pairs as he would have raised those hands in this spot. QJ is just going to end up a dog against most of the hands he plays.

In the end, you flopped a J and he went all in with an unimproved pair of 9s.

I cant decide whether this play was a very good one (using your stack to bully the table and got lucky) or a horrible one. My own thoughts would have tended to run towards a pot sized bet (saves a few chips if it gets pushed back to me and I want to fold and also looks like a big pair); or a push (forces the guy to sweat the bubble) both with the sole intention of seeking 3 folds. Overbetting the pot here just seemed weird.

Congrats on the tourney finish.
Fm
Old 05-04-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be interested to know your thought process on a hand near the bubble. Gator93 limped, another limper. Blinds were 200/400 and you had a large stack for the table. You had a QJo and raised to $2000.

Was this simply an isolation play to get it heads up with Gator. He's a decent player, you had to put him on something like a medium pair or a suited A, etc. You ruled out a big A and most of the big pairs as he would have raised those hands in this spot. QJ is just going to end up a dog against most of the hands he plays.

In the end, you flopped a J and he went all in with an unimproved pair of 9s.

I cant decide whether this play was a very good one (using your stack to bully the table and got lucky) or a horrible one. My own thoughts would have tended to run towards a pot sized bet (saves a few chips if it gets pushed back to me and I want to fold and also looks like a big pair); or a push (forces the guy to sweat the bubble) both with the sole intention of seeking 3 folds. Overbetting the pot here just seemed weird.

Congrats on the tourney finish.
Fm

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I didn't see this hand, but from your reporting of it, I really like this play. 2 limpers + the blinds mean 1400 in the pot. We have a narrow range of hands for the limpers (a range that happens to include AA, but not KK/QQ/JJ). We are unlikely to be covered as hands that cover us should either bet out PF or fold to this raise. The 2000 chip bet makes it very hard to call with low-mid PP. ZJ is very likely to take down this pot right here. When the flop comes out, he knows that he can lay down any flop in which he doesn't pair AND he can bet any ace or king (THIS is the reasons QJ is such a good hand to pull this with).

Excellent play, glad he didn't have AA.

CSC
Old 05-04-2005, 01:17 PM

Yeah, I agree. But wouldn't a pot sized bet of 1400 accomplish the same thing while leaving more options?

Fm
Old 05-04-2005, 02:08 PM

I was just trying to take down the pot preflop. I did not overbet the pot. 2,000 is less than a pot sized raise. A raise to 1400 would be way too small, and would have virtually no chance of taking down the pot.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:19 PM

Hey ZJ,

I'm not badgering you here and I'm sorry I'm not being very articulate.

Let me try and reset it. I presume you recognize Gator93 as an experienced player. My question with the bet size has to do with the decision you are contronting the threat with. We can assume the BB will toss most hands and the other limper is probably not an issue as he was coming along for the odds.

So its Gator who you are trying to deal with. He's got about 6000 left in chips and we're near bubble. If you raise a smaller amount, he then has a decision where he still has 5k in chips left if he folds the hand out. 77, 88, and 99 probably have to think about it. Still that presents him with 3 to 1 on the money and its probably a call.

Now, with the slightly larger raise you are putting him into a 2 to 1 on the money for his mid-pair. This is probably still good enough pot odds for his holding.

The problem to me was it seems like you are getting into a zone where if he does call he is getting very close to pot committed and thus decides to simply push instead hoping he has some FE by representing AA and knowing that he has the made end of a coinflip if not.

So, I guess my comment was more about seeking an amount he could actually fold to based on his chip position and assuming it was fairly easy to identify his possible holdings.

Anyway, good result for you and again, good job on the tourney.

Fm