Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Very small stack in the bubble in sb calling with rags

I cannot access my hand history from work so cannot give specifics but the question is of a general nature.
Last night in a £10 MTT with 90 riders, I got a bad beat and then very cold cards and limped into the bubble with a small stack. With 14 playes left, I had about 2600 chips and the blinds were 600/1200 (the big blind had wiped 1/3 of my chips).
Five players call the BB. I have 85 off suit and call (even this is almost 1/4 of my chips and the antes are 100). The flop is all face cards and, after my check, there is substantial action, so I fold.
As it happened, this hand killed three opponents and I was able to hang on, double up and made the final table with enough chips to finish fifth, so I wasn't unhappy with the play. The same play - calling the BB with a tiny stack and rags - has helped me win tournaments in the past because if you do flop a monster, you know you'll get a call and ofetn a few calls and you can go from zero to hero quickly. But I'm wondering what calculations should inform a decision to call in this situation.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Very small stack in the bubble in sb calling with rags

why you would ever limp w/ a 2600 stack at 600/1200 blinds is beyond me
Old 12-13-2005, 12:40 PM

1. There is 8000 or so in the pot and it's costing me 600 to have a look.
2. Because the BB is only raising with a big hand - he's not going to bluff what is almost a family pot.
3. Because pushing is pointless: I have no fold equity.
4. Becuase I have seven more hands to wait for four others to bust out before I make the final table.

It seems to me that, in this case, folding makes no sense. Raising also makes no sense. So I called (and prayed).
Old 12-13-2005, 02:04 PM

O - 73

B - 11

I - 25

G - 57

N - 33

Seems more like your style of game.....
Old 12-13-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
calling the BB with a tiny stack and rags

[/ QUOTE ]

you should not do this. you're not going to make enough when you do hit to compensate for the many many times you either flop 1 pair and lose the rest or flop nothing. (and if you only are playing on if you flop 2 pr or better, you're only going to hit something like 1/29.)