Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 08:54 PM

Default Direct Tv, Flat screen, HD, DVR questions

Thought I might find help here.

Just moved into my new place and I think that tomorrow I'm going to pick up my first ever flat screen.
Then I want Direct TV, mostly b/c of the football package, but the cost for Direct TV with DVR is somewhere around 699$ not including the package.
Does anyone have Direct TV with HD and is it worth it?
Anything I should know or look for in a flat screen?
I have had DVR for a year and don't think I could go back to life without it - I am a slave to the tv, but at least with DVR it can be on my time.
Any advice with the flat screen, direct tv, or anything else would be appreciated.
-SC
Old 05-29-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Direct Tv, Flat screen, HD, DVR questions

Directv, HD, and Tivo are not cheap. The football package in HD is getting a bit crazy too, over $300/year now.

I switched from Directv to Comcast once I got HD. The DVR is only an extra $10/month.

Also the locals are not available in HD at this time on Directv.

Check out: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=6

The twoplustwo of home entertainment.

I can't think how I lived without HD now.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:05 PM

I have been told by sales people that plasma tvs require a special filter. If the filter is not purchased the tv will still play fine but it will only last about half as long as normal. Normal shelf life is about 6-7 years. Without the filter it only lasts about 3-4 years. The cheapest filters they told me only cost about $200 but are crap and wont do much. Some of the better ones can cost over $1000 and the top of the line filters can cost over $5000. This may be something you want to find out for sure before spending that much money on a tv. I bought a 55 in Mitsubitshi big screen for $1499 and no filter required and HD can be hooked up straight through the satalite package.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:18 PM

I like the looks of the DLP and LCD hi-def tvs. Cheaper and they are incredible. Just stay away from straight rear projection.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:25 PM

Non-HD DirecTV has a resolution that makes an HD set a waste of money. Sadly, HD DirecTV with DVR is super expensive, while non-HD DirecTV with DVR is super cheap. I have 4 DVRs, mostly because I refuse to watch live TV, and because the cost is $5 a month total for all 4, and the units ranged from $0 to $100. With cable they wanted $6.95/month per DVR.

Within a few years HD DirecTV will be reasonably priced, and I'll upgrade then.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:01 PM

Right now this is the tv I will be getting. Everything is right except for the price. It is retailing for 2999$.
The advantage to buying at Costco is they will honor returns past the warranty date.
Does this seem like a reasonable purchase for my Direct TV set up?
Thanks.

Link
Old 05-29-2005, 11:10 PM

Looks like a lot of money for a tv that you can't 4 table with no overlap [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2005, 12:29 AM

With flat panel monitors, LCD is 10x better then plasma. LCD's cost more, but have a longer lifespan and don't consume as much power. Plasmas drain electric power which can make up that differnece over time... Plasmas have a lifespan of about 10 years before they burn out.

Depending on what your cost and size trade off limit is, you can pick up a Dell 30" LCD HDTV for about $1300 or a Toshiba 65" RPTV for about $2,000. I own both and they are great pieces of equipment.

Size does matter. The 65" isnt flat panel, and it's a beast, but it is much more impressive then the 30 (or even a 42"). Its a huge tv and whenever someone new comes over, they are floored by it. Also, big Screen TV's tend to "shrink" after youve had one for about two weeks. If you picked up the 65", within a few months you would be wondering why you didnt go for one of the 72" ones, and you would never even think of watching something on somthething so small as 42" ever again.

If I was in your position, I would get the 65" rear projection now, save the $1500 and in 5-7 years upgrade to a larger or LCD/Plasma which should be in the 1500-2500 range (the money youve already saved from the last purchase).
Old 05-30-2005, 07:11 AM

i have a new 27" Sony Wega flat screen crt. $350 on sale. $60 for extended 4 year warranty. it's picture quality is the closest thing next to HD out there. sony has a 32"($680) and a 36"($880) too. the wega chip makes the crt come alive. some one told me that this is probably the last in technology improvements for the crt.the speakers in it are the best in its class too. Toshiba had a great picture but small speakers. Panasonic had a good picture and the same Sony quality speakers. i save $1250 over the rear view and with the dependability of the crt will have a tube to watch for 15 years(i hope). that saves me another $5000 over 15 years. i seem not to care so much about tv since online poker. lcds a and a lazy boy. not too shabby.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Right now this is the tv I will be getting. Everything is right except for the price. It is retailing for 2999$.
The advantage to buying at Costco is they will honor returns past the warranty date.
Does this seem like a reasonable purchase for my Direct TV set up?
Thanks.

Link

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I got. It's a Sony 42" LCD. I absolutely love it. And it retails for 2,499 (500 less than what you're looking for at Costco). Also, I talked Circuit City down and got it for 2,049 when I agreed to buy their 4 year service plan ($500) and my DirecTV HD tuner ($300) also. I also had to drop $75 on an antenna because you can't get locals on DirecTV in Hi-Def. I absolutely love this TV, and as someone else said, I don't know HOW I went without Hi-Def for so long...it is so awesome.