Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Earrings on small children

[ QUOTE ]

not if you want to keep on having society portray women the way it has been

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you proposing that girls should be asexual until they're in their teens?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm tempted to say most women, atleast the ones I have talked to about this. This is actually a pretty common disagreement between men and women. Perhaos there are some underlying power issues dealing with child rearing at play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean that most women feel that their daughters should have their ears pierced young? This isn't a discussion I've had outside of this thread, so I'm not really sure what common feelings are about this.

I think that saying that there are underlying power issues is a bit of a stretch, I just think that men and women look at the issue differently. My guess is that men most likely tend to see earrings as a step towards maturity and that giving them to a girl when she's too young is trying to make her grow up too fast. I have a feeling that women tend to look at earrings as just another way for their daughter to look nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your right about the female perspective. maybe power issues were off but what about something deeper like a shared experience? Could being circumsized as an infant be in play here?
Old 10-12-2005, 02:01 AM

So now you're comparing pierced ears to circumcision? I guess I can understand what you mean, but circumcision is much more permanent, and I don't think that any young men who weren't circumcised at birth want to get circumcised when they're in their teens the way that young girls do.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Could being circumsized as an infant be in play here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. Pierced ears are much less permanent and much more desirable for girls than circumcision is for boys.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So now you're comparing pierced ears to circumcision? I guess I can understand what you mean, but circumcision is much more permanent, and I don't think that any young men who weren't circumcised at birth want to get circumcised when they're in their teens the way that young girls do.

[/ QUOTE ]

not comparing, but asking if the expeirence of being circumsized could subconsciously influence men to be against having there infant (<3?) aged girls from being pierced.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm tempted to say most women, atleast the ones I have talked to about this. This is actually a pretty common disagreement between men and women. Perhaos there are some underlying power issues dealing with child rearing at play.

[/ QUOTE ]

its b/c we were "little girls" once...and we know what kind of things they love. To dress up, have jewelry, wear makeup....not ALL the time but sometimes...i see nothing wrong with allowing her pierced ears

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I agree that is the female side but why is it that I and many other men seem to be oppossed. Perhaps an issue beyond that of ears getting pierced, (especially considering this is more than likely going to happen anyways). I'm thinking something stemming from a similar experience for most men at a very young age. Think below the belt.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i know...and this is where it starts with things like ear piercings and makeup at a young age - its the beginning of the father knowing hes gonna SUPER flip out when boys come into the picture and its HIS daughter...honestly if u handle this in the way most men do ur daughter will rebel against u and do THOSE things which u fear most. If u treat her like and adult and understand her wants and needs and comply within reason...help her grow as a person, etc - u will have alot less to worry about when boys become a major issue. yes of course ur always gonna be like "i know what those boys want", but there is not much u can do besides let her make her mistakes, hope she makes few b/c u raised her correctly, and be understanding no matter what. Women sympahtize more with thier daughters b/c they went thru this with thier fathers, so often moms will take them out shopping and u kinda just dont show dad that one top or that semi short skirt, its a mother daughter type bond. It doesnt mean that niether dont love thier husband/father, its just an understanding b/w mother/daughter and there is a bond there (no matter what age) just like the bond of marriage. It shouldnt be looked at as a someone picked a side over anothers - it should try to be understood and met on middle ground. I wont ever hide from my husband what i buy/get her (b/c i wouldnt marry a man that wouldnt understand my reasoning or at least listen) but im sure shes not going to want her "daddy" to see them right off the bat. Like a girls 1st bikini - ur excited but of course ur dad freaks and if he freaks too much u move from feeling semi bad to feeling like F u i can do what i want!

To this day i wont kiss a bf in front of my father, i just feel like its disrespectful to him (some fathers are TOTALLY different im NOT saying everyone should do this) But my dad is a very traditional southern gentlemen. If i was to even KISS a guy in front of my dad i know my dad would start thinking "hes having sex with my daughter" and i just dont want to do that to him - and im 25!!! To a father ur always daddies little girl and even when your married its hard for some fathers to completely let go. yeah my dad being this way sometimes is overly annoying, but i love him for it and i know hes just worried about me cause he was a "young man" once and when he goes "darling, hes no good, i was that age once...." i stop him and go "daddy its ok....ill always be your little girl, trust me". In his mind im still perfect even though deep down he knows im 25 and have probably done my fair share of all types of things in my life. The worst thing was when i got my tongue pierced and he flipped - everytime i was around him he would be like "take that thing out when your around me...its just silly...i dont see a reason for those things...what is the use of it!??!" I so wanted to answer his question...but i couldnt do that to my DAD!

its ok guys....its peirced ears....u arent laying ur daughter out half nude for a male to come confiscate
Old 10-12-2005, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its b/c we were "little girls" once...and we know what kind of things they love. To dress up, have jewelry, wear makeup....not ALL the time but sometimes...i see nothing wrong with allowing her pierced ears

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the way society has portrayed woman has been the same for 1000s and 1000s and 1000s of years...in my life time this will not change. It has come a long way recently, but me dressing how i wanna dress, and my daughther doing the same is not something i am willing to give up. It is a freedom i will never give up. If people wanna think im a whore, slut, golddigger, tramp, etc for being who i am than so be it, but at least in this day and age u can be who u want to be without being "owned by a man" or having to be a "prostitute" to have ANY rights or a HIGHER place in society b/c way back when it was the prostitutes that were above the "normal" women - they were the only ones that were educated, had policital knowledge, owned houses, had money, etc - so i think we have come a long way. Its men like u who think the opposite that r the downfall of our society, not us. I can be miss cultured proper bell when i "have" to be, but in this society i can be anything else i want to be as well
Old 10-12-2005, 02:24 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the way society has portrayed woman has been the same for 1000s and 1000s and 1000s of years...in my life time this will not change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pity you didn't do Sociology at University, but then again who has the time with all the law and medicine you were studying.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:28 AM

Earings on small kids are alright if they are trying to attract business in the Phillipines, but otherwise, could get ripped out. Then your kid cant hear you yell at him. Liability...
Old 10-12-2005, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the way society has portrayed woman has been the same for 1000s and 1000s and 1000s of years...in my life time this will not change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pity you didn't do Sociology at University, but then again who has the time with all the law and medicine you were studying.

[/ QUOTE ]

uuummm i took sociology, social psyc, social biology...im gettin a PhD in PHYCHOLOGY....one of my main undergrad papers was on women throughout history....what are u talking about?!?!