Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Omar Vizquel- HOF worthy?

I don't understand the in context part of why Ozzie Smith was a better hitter (perhaps players around him and bigger ballpark). I've watch Omar play a lot of games over the years and he was/is an excellent SS IMO, I think every bit as good out in the field as any SS I've seen overall. One thing about Ozzie that I think people should keep in mind, he also played alot of games on the carpet which in my mind has to make things tougher. Ozzie was more widely publicized than Omar. Don't think Omar will get in.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:55 PM

Omar- No.....Larkin-Yes.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the in context part of why Ozzie Smith was a better hitter (perhaps players around him and bigger ballpark). I've watch Omar play a lot of games over the years and he was/is an excellent SS IMO, I think every bit as good out in the field as any SS I've seen overall. One thing about Ozzie that I think people should keep in mind, he also played alot of games on the carpet which in my mind has to make things tougher. Ozzie was more widely publicized than Omar. Don't think Omar will get in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ozzie hit in an era when nubers weren't inflated by steroids/bandbox ballparks/whatever the cause may be. Omar is playing in a time where there are shortstops that are hitting 40 HR a year (well, when Arod was still a SS), or putting up similarly striking numbers (Tejada, Nomar, Jeter, etc.) I'm a Cubs fan and hate the Cards, but Ozzie is a no doubt HOFer, and Omar is a no doubt non-HOFer, in my opinion.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:59 PM

I'd like to see your case for Ozzie being a much better hitter "in context." OPS+ doesn't bear that out.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:00 PM

OPS+ isn't ballpark adjusted, is it?
Old 08-12-2005, 01:06 PM

Checking out the numbers, Larkin actually is interesting.

In his favor, Larkin has:

an NL MVP
12 all-star appearances
3 gold gloves (and probably should have had 2-3 more)
379 SB (a lot in the era in which he played
9 Silver Sluggers
198 HR in an era where SS didn't hit HR
career .295 BA

and was one of the best 2-3 SS for at least a 19 year stretch.

However, he only ended up with 2180 hits in 19 seasons, and was hurt a lot at times.

Larkin = HOFer?

jvs
Old 08-12-2005, 01:08 PM

Hasn't Omar played in an eraa when more runs are being scored as well? Ozzie's numbers, in context, might prove that Omar is not clearly the better offensive player.

Jack?
Old 08-12-2005, 01:12 PM

Also, Omar's reputation defensively is over-inflated. He was a plus defender for many years that won Gold Gloves on a few spectacular plays. Ozzie was an all-time elite defender....maybe the best ever.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, Omar's reputation defensively is over-inflated. He was a plus defender for many years that won Gold Gloves on a few spectacular plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man that is sooooooooooooooo wrong. I'll play the Bill James card here though, defense is probably overrated in that an excellent fielding shortstop vs. a decent fielding shortstop who hits a ton better than the excellent fielding shortstop prefers the latter.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, Omar's reputation defensively is over-inflated. He was a plus defender for many years that won Gold Gloves on a few spectacular plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man that is sooooooooooooooo wrong. I'll play the Bill James card here though, defense is probably overrated in that an excellent fielding shortstop vs. a decent fielding shortstop who hits a ton better than the excellent fielding shortstop prefers the latter.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your second sentence is certainly correct. Maybe I didn't frame my statement as well as I could have. Omar was a very, very good defender, and worthy of several of the gold gloves he has. He just wasn't always head and shoulders above everyone else like Ozzie was defensively. There were years in his prime where there were other SS who fielded roughly as well as Omar.