Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Check it down or bet it out??

Here is a hand a friend of mine played last night. Its by no means a spectacular hand, but we did have a discussion this morning about whether checking it down or making a bet on the flop to try and pick up the pot was the best strategy. Your comments would be appreciated.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (10 handed) converter

UTG+1 ($600)
UTG+2 ($480)
MP1 ($240)
MP2 ($636)
MP3 ($611.50)
Hero ($402)
Button ($1272)
SB ($240)
BB ($630.50)
UTG ($1000.50)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $10, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $10, MP2 calls $10, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, Button folds, SB calls $25, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds.

Flop: ($100) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($100) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($100) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $100
Old 01-11-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Check it down or bet it out??

not awful...but how about a bet on the flop to see where you're at, and then check it down...maybe this is awful...
Old 01-11-2005, 02:55 PM

How can you even consider betting that flop? The only hands you beat are lower pocket pairs and they have horrible odds to draw out on you so the EV on a bet has to be negative.

The only hands you beat that you can possibly scare out of the pot would be KQ and KJ and good players aren't playing those hands out of position after a raise.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:06 PM

i would have bet the turn and checked down unimproved
Old 01-11-2005, 03:06 PM

SB only called a 3x BB raise, and he was already in for a few. How about a bet on the turn or river than? My guess is that SB does have a lower pocket pair or suited connectors since it went check-check, check-check. What has SB been known to call moderate raises with? There's nothing wrong with checking down, but a bet somewhere to try to pick up a $100 pot isn't a bad idea either.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's nothing wrong with checking down, but a bet somewhere to try to pick up a $100 pot isn't a bad idea either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that but betting the flop sounds like a bad play to me. Checking behind looking for the Jack was a nice play and then I think I would bet the turn to pick it up there. Any call or raise on the turn and I would shutdown.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:33 PM

$30 doesn't seem like much of a preflop raise, especially with two limpers. Is that standard in this game?

I would check this down too.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:46 PM

I think checking down is probably the best option here.

The only place I can see a value bet is on the river. My guess is SB would have bet if he had anyhting substantial on one of the streets. This did not happen, so I'd guess that SB has a lower pocket or QQ or made a loose call with KQ or KJ.

My only other thought is betting maybe half the pot on the river as a value bet hoping JJ, 99, 77, 66 calls you. But this is even risky, cause a lot of the time, players with those hands will fold pretty quickly to any bet and players with other hands will raise you as well as players that find your half the pot bet weak.

Nothing wrong with checking and hoping to see the pot go your way.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:50 PM

The only bad play your friend made was not raising more preflop. These guys are such pussies. Who folds for $20 more in a $100 pot?

Now tell him to go read American Tabloid.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:06 PM

No one thinks it's wrong to get Villain off a middle King here? I'm betting somewhere.