Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2004, 12:32 PM

Default Game management in the 5-5 at Foxwoods

Hi folks,

I'm in the beautiful 5-5 NL at Foxwoods. Very soft, with 7-10 limpers (including me, of course) every hand. Plenty of money to go around. I lose $1000 in my first hand at the table, when my bottom 2 pair are counterfeited. Shortly thereafter, I move into a seat to the left of the bozo who got me.

Then, a good player who normally plays higher (10-25), changes seats to get on my left, and starts raising every hand that he plays (about 40%) to 25 or 40 bucks. Not content to share, he is ruining our good time. I act like I haven't noticed.

I pick up 72o UTG, and very casually flip a nickel into the the pot. One call to my left, then mr. hog raises it to 25. Two more callers, and it's folded to me. I make it 175 to go. Everyone folds, and I show it.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Game management in the 5-5 at Foxwoods

If this guy was wearing a Yankees hat, you're not going to keep him in line and he's going to make you miserable. Plus, you'll get to limpreraise him from your seat with real hands anyway (and he'll usually call). The fact that he might very well call here with T8s makes me dislike the LRR.

If the guy was a slightly built guy with an irish name (Jimmy something), you'd be better off waiting for a bigger hand as well or calling and waiting for the flop to steal.

Many of the players in that game who make that move will take a flop with you with absolute junk if you've got at least a grand and call down too light for you to feel comfortable pushing. No reason to risk taking a flop, and it's usually not going to stop them from raising.

The reason it's so easy to double up in that game versus most of the guys who do that when you have KK or AA is the same reason you shouldn't be reraising light.

Also, they're not ruining your game. Just making it different.

scrub
Old 11-19-2004, 01:56 PM

well done
Old 11-19-2004, 07:58 PM

Hi scrub,

He was James Donchess, a slightly studious-looking guy in his late 30's or 40's. He finished 4th in last Thursday's 500 NL event, so if you are around Foxwoods, you can pick up one of those sheets and see his picture, if you're curious.

And he was ruining it; going from seeing every flop for 5 bucks 8 ways to playing against a good raiser with position on me for 25 bucks is bad, plus his raises were making the others tighten up. Anyway, I said something harsh and challenging after showing the bluff, and he actually left shortly thereafter (probably a coincidence, though). I was happy.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:38 PM

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

It wasn't one of the usual culprits from when I played that game a lot this summer--most of the guys I played with who did that sort of stuff were way too easy to double through in a spot like that for me to like the LRR.

Then again, they didn't, for the most part, actually ruin the game...

ni han

scrub
Old 11-20-2004, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
most of the guys I played with who did that sort of stuff were way too easy to double through in a spot like that for me to like the LRR.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that's bad news for me since i am probably the one in the yankees hat that you reffered to in your earlier post. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2004, 10:02 PM

Yeah, but you were too good at flopping sets or two pair against me the few times I got a lot of money in preflop against you...[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Like I've said before though, I thought you were just about the best player I played with in that game, and I was glad we rarely played at the same time. As much as anything else, I felt comfortable playing deeper when you weren't at the table.

scrub
Old 11-20-2004, 11:18 PM

what's wrong with the yankees?
Old 11-22-2004, 12:16 PM

FWIW, you can really terrorize people that play like that with a short stack, which is basically how I built my roll. most people (though maybe not the people mentioned) who play fast and loose preflop are hard to play when you're both deep, but make so many mistakes preflop against short stacks that it's really hard not to make money against them. now I hate playing against shorter stacks for this reason.

--turnipmonster
Old 11-23-2004, 07:02 AM

Default Optimal number of callers

The more callers in the pot, the bigger the reward and the bigger the risk of your steal attempt failing. What do you think is the optimal number of callers for this play?

-MJS