Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2004, 10:22 AM

Default 60k in 60 days: Season 2 - Day 19 and 20

If you don’t have the new D12 album yet, you should be ashamed of yourself. The song “Get My Gun” starts out with a skit of Eminem walking toward his car, speaking with Kon Artist in a heated tone.

Eminem: This MF wants to disrespect me?
Kon Artist: Em, where you goin?
E: I got something for his ass
KA: Calm down, man
E: No, YOU calm down
KA Man, what you poppin your trunk for?
E: F*ck that. That MF wants to pop sh*t to me?
KA: Man, he wasn’t poppin sh*t
E: He was poppin that sh*t
KA: What sh*t?
E: That sh*t. You heard it
KA: Man, he asked for you autograph.

Reminds me of the setup for my last HU match. I’m playing this dude who happens to be rather talkative, and has a history of losing his cool at the table (he happens to be a terrible player too). I hit my kicker on the river on this one hand, and it goes down…

Him: NH
Me: What’s that supposed to mean?
Him: You rivered me…NH
Me: You got a problem with me?
Him: ?
Me: Admit it…you think I’m terrible
Him: What is with you?
Me: Want to play me heads up?
Him: Fine

I’m naughty.

Packers lost this week….to the goddamn Bears of all teams. And it really wasn’t all that close either. Ahman Green has now fumbled in 2 straight games, and Favre is truly starting to get old. I haven’t seen him throw a ball with a smoke trail on it so far this year. On top of that, our run stuffer, Grady Jackson, is currently sidelined, and the rest of our DL is made of up statues dressed up in football gear. Last week I said the Packers were going to be an exciting team to watch. I stand by this statement, but be certain that I never called this team great by any stretch of the imagination. I’m probably a little irrational right now since we lost to the FREAKIN BEARS, but we better get our acts together.

Speaking of getting acts together…holy hell did I have a bad fantasy week. Although, what is to be expected when Stephen Davis, Steve Smith, Deuce McAlister, and Charles Rogers occupy roster spots on at least two of four total fantasy teams? Jebus. I need health now.

My last (content-rich) journal entry did not garner much reply. Maybe I should just learn my role and try to keep the 2+2 community at large entertained to the best of my ability. I typed up a paragraph talking about how the flop flat-call against a thinking or semi-thinking opponent in a heads-up pot under 4.5 small bets could very well be the scariest play in poker, and how and when the play can be utilized to garner large amounts of information from a player. However, I am going to cut it off right there, and see if that can garner a little more discussion than my ill-fated lead and check-raise entry by letting someone else start the discussion.

Day 19 was an extension of my comfortable little mini-vacation at the tables. I played a number of short sessions, putting up totals of $412.50, $1220, -$268.5, and $405.50 between the morning and the afternoon. I just threw on auto-pilot and things seemed to fall into place. I settled in for a semi-lengthy evening session when the HU match from above took place. He bought in for about $1600 and I went up a total of $650 or so when a critical decision came up. The phone rang…some girl had the audacity to call me while I was at work. For you veteran 2+2ers, you might remember a story I wrote last year about a failed pick-up attempt, where I discussed the merits of PV calculations. This time, I had to assess PV vs EV. Here is the thought process, laid out by ring.

Ring 1: Who is that? Danielle? Damn…I should take this. Let me just raise this turn here since he has nothing and then I’ll tell him I’ll be right back. I mean, I hit my hand total for the day, so why not spend a part of the evening with the nice young lady?

Ring 2: Bah. I can call her back. This guy is going to be an easy $700-800 more if I can just stick with him for an hour or so. Why risk losing this guy by sitting out? I’ll just call her back when I am done.

Ring 3: (Warning! Irrational rationalization ahead!) Bah. This guy doesn’t like me and he’ll be damned to let me leave with his money (remember how this match was setup? This guy doesn’t hate me). He’s my bitch. He’ll do what I tell him to do. Let me just type in “brb…phone” and he can just sit there and wait to lose the rest of his dough.

Ring 4: “Hello?”

Ten seconds later, my opponent was gone. The loss of EV in this case was simply staggering.

Penis: 1 Brain: 0

Another interesting tidbit from the HU match is that I showed down a bluff-raise on the river on a 5799Q board with two flopped clubs where I held 4c6c. I rarely do that, but I think I should seriously consider pulling that stunt more often given the effect it had on my opponent. It’s weird…on some sort of second-level thinking, the showdown of my bluff allowed me to bluff more often. Me likey. I finished the last session at $414, giving me a grand total of $2183.50 for the day.

Day 20 sucked. I’d rather have Day 14, where the Packers won and I lost $2300 instead of Day 20, where I won $1115 and the Packers lost. You think that’s cute, don’t you? I’m dead serious. I went to bed way happier on Day 14 than I did on Day 20. I somehow managed to squeeze in 1800 hands and put up sessions of $1183, $683.50, and -$711.50 while fighting back the tears.

I ain’t posting hands anymore until we get some conceptual discussion. It’s my journal…I get to discuss the concepts I want to discuss. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Day 19 – Goal: 2500 10/20 6m hands
Results – 2733 hands (HU hands factored in at projected EV / 2BB / 100)
+$2183

Day 20 – Goal: Play as many hands as possible while paying Packers their due respect.
Results: 1804 hands, cried self to sleep
+$1115

Cumulative results
Goal: 150000 hands (secret modified hand-scoring system)
Days 1-20: 43671 hands (extrapolated: 131013 hands)
Goal: $60000
Days 1-20: $27078.92 ($7078.92 ahead of pace, extrapolated: $81236.76)
Old 09-20-2004, 10:33 AM

Default Re: 60k in 60 days: Season 2 - Day 19 and 20

[ QUOTE ]
Another interesting tidbit from the HU match is that I showed down a bluff-raise on the river on a 5799Q board with two flopped clubs where I held 4c6c. I rarely do that, but I think I should seriously consider pulling that stunt more often given the effect it had on my opponent. It’s weird…on some sort of second-level thinking, the showdown of my bluff allowed me to bluff more often. Me likey.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this, players who get shown a bluff don't want to be hammered by your next hand which just happened to be the big one, and you aren't gonna bluff twice are you? So you can bluff and semi-bluff a bit more freely - but as I know, this isn't something to do often in full ring. HU different.

Oh, and by the way, you keep winning. Well played, but can you put into the next blog some stuff on how you do this? It's something I'd like to do too [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2004, 11:05 AM

You play goot.

BEARS RULE!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2004, 01:30 PM

I need to run a bet with you where our avatar is determined by the other after the next Bears-Pack game. In any case, I honestly value PV over EV in this situation.

You might want to crosspost the real content on the play to HUSH or M/H because people will look for it there. I liked reading it, but the audience here isn't quite the same.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:46 PM

hey gonores: have you played a lot of live games in the Madison area? If so, I've probably met you. I've been playing around here for quite some time. Ho-Chunk 10-20 and 15-30 before they shut it down, plus many of the local games.
Feel free to PM me, although based on your online results I'm not sure you're invited to the games I play in.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

crash/dave
Old 09-20-2004, 01:57 PM

It seems like you're a natural when it comes to heads up play. Just wondering if you ever did the Stars $5000 heads up tourney match? I have never seen anyone waiting for an opponent but I'd have to think there would be takers out there.

Congrats on your continued success!
Old 09-20-2004, 02:19 PM

The Bears game was quite possibly the highlight of my day yesterday.

Ni han Brett Favre. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I would say keep posting your more in-depth strategic commentary. You get no responses because it's so right there's nothing left to discuss.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:37 PM

dude you are a machine, your pace is just unreal, nice.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:02 PM

80-90% of heads-up skill comes from opponent selection. I don't think it would be worth my time to scout those games to find a not-so-worthy opponent, and even then the volatility of HU play means I'd lose a good chunk of the time regardless of how I played.

Besides, $5k is still like 15% of my bankroll. Escalating blinds suck too.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:11 PM

80-90% of heads-up skill comes from opponent selection. I don't think it would be worth my time to scout those games to find a not-so-worthy opponent, and even then the volatility of HU play means I'd lose a good chunk of the time regardless of how I played.

Besides, $5k is still like 15% of my bankroll. Escalating blinds suck too.

Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.

GoT