Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Is this just gambling or deep thinking?

I posted a pretty close hand to yours a while back and I play AK/occasional big pairs like that occasionally. This works much better when you know he can do this with hands you're ahead of and not just pairs, but if he did it with 77 he's donkish enough so he'd also be able to have AQ.

I like this play a little better when I had the opportunity to coldcall kings first, but there just aren't too many of those times around, y'know?
Old 12-18-2005, 02:40 AM

Havent read through yet, so sorry if repetitive.

I will assume that no player has been out of line (which could justify any play really, depending on the degree)

It looks to me like you have some typical online MTTers who have failed to adjust to having 40xBB this late in a tournament.

I dont like either play really. Into a EP raise and a call, I'm not going to advocate raising with 77, without at least making it very difficult for hands like 88-JJ to call. But I would think you can expect a call more often than not, with 2 players getting >2-1 on a call. I mean what are you hoping for? Are you planning to fold to a K J 4 flop, when LP pushes? I have no problem with a call by 77, everyone is deep enough for the implied odds for me.

Now, onto AK. We cant really expect BT to fold now, so it comes down to his range. Against complete unknowns, I am folding here. I assume JJ+ AK for an unknown range there. Too cautious, probably, but I dont like putting 40xBB in the pot with someone showing some very serious strength with AK. Now, that could chnage very very dramatically within an orbit or two at the table. But complete unknown, its a fold for me. 20xBB, push.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It looks to me like you have some typical online MTTers who have failed to adjust to having 40xBB this late in a tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

See Sirio, if you would just play some deep stacked tournaments, you would understand.... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2005, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After the hand I was wondering if plays like this one work since there are just too many players nowadays willing to die with a medium pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the problem is specifically with medium pairs. I think the situation your running into is that players used to shallow stacks are much much much much to willing to go broke with marginal hands when deeper. Basically if he'll go broke with 77 there he'll go broke with AQ and thats good for you.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:04 AM

It really is a tough adjustment to make. When a MTT goes crazy, and I am playing late with 40-50xBB without being a large stack, I have to admit I feel quite lost on a lot of situations. Many of the the typical tools (blind steals, resteals, become a very different animal, especially when you are setting yourself up (like BT did) to be getting 2-1 on an all-in call you should hate to make.

It's also strange how players react to it. I have found my best strategies usually revolve around the fact that players often fail to adjust their standards for calling a push with 15 vs 40xBB, but I feel many overcompensate to the other extreme post flop. So, I have been seeing many more flops with position, and defending my blinds over restealing. Pretty basic I know, but it has really helped me in these situations.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:59 AM

MLG,

What do you do if a King or a Queen flops? (rainbow, no str8 draw or flush draws)

How would you proceed with the given stacks assuming the BT just calls the 4K?

If he bets out 8K what do you do?

Thanks for your insight,

Stipe
Old 12-18-2005, 12:04 PM

Given your assessment of his range and willingness to take the chance here would you consider a stop-and-go or is the fold equity/pot odds combo clearly dominant in your analysis?

For secondary learning ... if you put him on 55-99, AA/KK, AK, AQs and knew you'd get called you're getting marginally appropriate pot odds (if I did the math right) but do you take that amount of edge in that spot.