Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 11:06 PM

Default Re: What do you differently here? (there must be something)

There are 2 or 3 guys that play a decent amount who make the game good. I'll just PM you with their names. There are others that come and go and drop 2k here and there, but for the most part I think a "typical" lineup in those games is beatable by only the slightest of margins. There is a handful of guys who play everyday who play suboptimally for sure(a few 29/12 sort of guys), which make the game beatable... but from a psycholgical standpoint games like this will swing you all over with not as much to show for it as you'd probably like. From experience, the ups and downs are much more violent in a game like that if you are practicing essentially no game selection(just sitting in a game for hours).
-James
Old 10-12-2005, 11:35 PM

Well, I personally would feel un-easy to c/r a heart, and any other card like K,Q,J would scare me a little, enough to lead and not c/r to open myself up for a 3-bet in a hand I know I'm going to showdown in. Also, by c/r you define your hand as atleast top pair or better so a lot of hands that might 3-bet your c/r put you at a tough decision and enable him to fold hands that you have crushed.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:38 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
I see you guys playing short in the Eurobet games all the time when they are pretty bad. A lot of times they are bad when it's full, too. Part of the key to moving up is doing so in games that won't swing you all over the god damn place. As far as your play in this hand, I think you played it well. Donkey is pretty aggro and it looks like here you snapped off a 3 bet for a free showdown play. FWIW it's highly unlikely that you have a significant edge(if any) over this particular player.

[/ QUOTE ]

funny. I said the same thing to DarthDonkey [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2005, 11:40 PM

Yeah Josh, it applies to him most of all. I see him sitting when the game is awful/short pretty much every day.
-James
Old 10-13-2005, 01:49 AM

i'd go all in
Old 10-13-2005, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting stuff James. First of all, i felt villian in this hand was quite tricky, and i can think of instances where he outplayed me, so i don't assume i would natrually have an edge over him. What i meant to say was i think his image of me was off because of the way the cards had been going, so there was a brief period where both and him and my other opponent were not quite sure how i was playing.

As far as the quality of the games, it's interesting to hear you say what you did. I don't think the games are a cakewalk, but each time i have played i have always thought i had been able to identify 1-2 people at the table who were going to make the game worth playing, but i guess you feel these lineups aren't proftable for a player like myself. (I don't take offense to this, i really try to absord what you say here) That said, i don't know what qualifies a game as worthwhile, there are not too many total fish at this level in my limited experience, i just try to shave what i can against the medium players.

Gabe

[/ QUOTE ]

listen to james.

if not, you will soon enough.

there's a reason you dont see me in those types of games.

Barron
Old 10-13-2005, 03:46 AM

I played in them a few times and disliked them very much, however I am curious...

James, what exactly about these games or perhaps the players in them, that you find so bad? The fact thats its filled with 30/20s?

Barron, can u define "those types of games"?
Old 10-13-2005, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I played in them a few times and disliked them very much, however I am curious...

James, what exactly about these games or perhaps the players in them, that you find so bad? The fact thats its filled with 30/20s?

[/ QUOTE ]

those types of games= high limit, high variance, marginal EV.

bk and i had this discussion back in august, i elected to stay in the lower limits since i dont like the variance. he elected to keep shooting for the stars even though it was his idea to stay in "bread and butter" territory. i now play NL b/c i feel i make more with less variance. today was an attrocious day though for me so even there i still see some swings...but nothing compared to high limit shorthanded agreesive limit holdem.

ive said it many times before as have other posters. playing shorthanded large bet limit holdem with people who can change gears (even accidenatlly) and put you to tough decisions, properly use position, value bet you to death, and are good at manipulating psychological edges is an excersize in intestinal fortitude and anti-risk aversion.

Barron
Old 10-13-2005, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

those types of games= high limit, high variance, marginal EV.

bk and i had this discussion back in august, i elected to stay in the lower limits since i dont like the variance. he elected to keep shooting for the stars even though it was his idea to stay in "bread and butter" territory. i now play NL b/c i feel i make more with less variance. today was an attrocious day though for me so even there i still see some swings...but nothing compared to high limit shorthanded agreesive limit holdem.

ive said it many times before as have other posters. playing shorthanded large bet limit holdem with people who can change gears (even accidenatlly) and put you to tough decisions, properly use position, value bet you to death, and are good at manipulating psychological edges is an excersize in intestinal fortitude and anti-risk aversion.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa, sweet post. no wonder my shots at 50/100 (which isnt even that high [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ) haven't been successful. lots of learning to do.