Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Calling AI in the BB, in the final table.

[ QUOTE ]
come on, after 3 pages it was enlightening to learn that A6 is behind A7

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, your're right that is pretty interesting... and with all the split pots its much closer than AK vs. AQ. good stuff.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:43 AM

Maybe I was repeating what was already said or what was obvious but isn't that better than just saying "auto fold" with no explanation? I didn't ready every word of every reply but I had the general impression that people were like "hmm, close call, I don't know" and to me it seems like a very easy fold.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:46 AM

fold, i would be glad to push this same hand, but definitely i dont like calling with it.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, i'm more likely to fold and be the agressor and put other people to the test.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well stated.

This is a very marginal call. I usually won't call in this situation unless I have at least A10. Of course, this changes if I have a large stack.

I guess you have to ask the question, Would you rather call with A6 or be the first one AI with 9-7? Wait for a better opportunity. You still have 15BB and can survive to either push yourself or pick off a desperate push by a shorty. (In theory the player is *probably* pushing with air but if your theoretic approach is wrong, YGHN!)

Stipe
Old 09-27-2005, 09:35 AM

A lot of the analysis in this thread seems to miss the key point for me. Its all about finding out which situation is +EV or, possibly, less negative EV.

In my opinion folding is the play because you can still steal blinds. I'd think that pushing any two the next time it folded to you, or when you were UTG, was a better option than calling here with A6s. You could also pick up a hand in the mean time where you'd want to get it in. If you had a hand like KQ/KJ or AT I think it becomes a call because you're chances against the buttons raise increase tremendously.

-Jason
Old 09-27-2005, 09:57 AM

So your calling range is AT-AK,KQ/KJ? What's the smallest pocket pair that you call with?
Old 09-27-2005, 01:48 PM

If there are 6 people left and neither you, the SB, nor the button are a big stack, that means a big stack (or two) will be in the blinds when you are on the button. Are they huge stacks, or will calling your all in from the button seriously damange their stacks?

The question for me would be whether I thought I had a reasonable chance to steal from the SB or button. If the big stacks are being aggressive, a - of folding here is that they are waiting for you when you try to steal from the button. If they are being passive, a + of folding is that your chances of stealing from the button are pretty good.

I lean towards a fold here. But if button is doing this every time it is folded to him and the big stacks are aggressive about calling short stack all-ins, I may decide to take my chance in this spot. If I had A9s here, it would be an insta-call
Old 09-27-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a common misconception IMO, which people hear and simply accept, without doing any of the math to prove it. In almost all cases like this, where you expect your opponent to call loosely, you are better off pushing with A2o than you are with 86s, just do the math and you should see that it's true. The point is that you will be called anywhere from 3-5% less because your opponents are less likely to have a calling hand. When your opponents are only calling you about 20-25% of the time as it is, this decrease is very signifigant, and even thoguh 86s may run a bit better than A2o, it's almost surely better to push with the ace.

The 86s usually runs maybe 2-3% better against calling hands, but this is usually made up for by the fact that you will be called about 3% less on average.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great point to be discussed, I'm surprised nobody has discussed on it, probably because involves doing some math; I haven't had the time to analize the point in deep, hopefully somebody could break up the math for us.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:07 PM

55 or 66 feels right.

-Jason