Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2004, 08:33 PM

Default Rampant Online Bluffing

Last night I played 5 hands in my first 2 hours, and in all 5 hands I was checkraised on the turn. In hand one I called it down with Top Pair/Top Kicker (AK with A on board) and lost to 2 pair. In hand 2, I fold (AQ with A on board) and lose to bluffer who showed his cards. Hand 3 and 4 are almost identical to hand 1. And hand 5, I am bluffed off again. After calling down 3 of these I don't think people see me as easy to knock of my hand. Perhaps I am a terrible hand reader. But after seeing the rampant bluffing online (compared to what I think happens in live games), I almost want to grit my teeth and become a calling station.

I've heard folks say that a check raise on the turn usually means top pair is beat. Do you all agree? Help, advice, and guidelines much appreciated.

The Ear
Old 12-13-2004, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Rampant Online Bluffing

Very often, I find that a turn check-raise means I'm hosed. I've called down enough of these (that's 2 BB every time, mind you) to know.

However, I think it's also very read-dependent. Being able to tell who check-raise bluffs and who doesn't would help a lot. In general, though, don't let a few bluffers force you into making a call that will kill you in the long run.

-Grendel