Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2004, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Tongue Lashings and the Ed Miller Approach

[ QUOTE ]
As it stands though, The pot is huge and you're not going anywhere, and even if you can't cut down the odds very well, I still think that if raising can make a better ace fold sometimes (and they sometimes will because lots of people don't calculate odds on the spot and figure out of the pot is giving them enough, and many people play with weak-tight rules like 'never play a gut-shot') it's worth the extra bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still don't understand why you'd like a better ace to fold? To clear up your gutshot outs I guess?
Old 09-13-2004, 06:14 PM

Cleans up the gutshot (less chance of chopping) and to some degree cleans up your chances of top pair of the ace drops, cleaning up your ace outs. (Not to be results oriented, but the results of this example show exactly how cleaning up the ace outs can win this pot.)

Cleans up all your outs in general, for only one extra bet. Even if you lose this pot most of the time, the raise will save you every once in a while, and for a pot this big you only have to win it once in a while for this to be +EV.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still don't understand why you'd like a better ace to fold? To clear up your gutshot outs I guess?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly--if a 4 comes, I don't want to share any of this huge pot.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:51 PM

you said:

"To the OP:

Why do you want a bigger ace to fold? So you can make less when you hit 2-pair? Well I guess it doesn't matter because you didn't bet your 2-pair on the river when you hit it.

Did you ever think you were way behind on the flop when it was limp-reraised and capped preflop, and that what you were hoping for with your flop raise was to isolate yourself against the guy with a big overpair?

And why didn't you 3-bet the turn? If you thought you could value-bet it, you surely can value raise it?

[/ QUOTE ]"

My response: As I replied elsewhere, if a 4 comes and I get a bigger ace to fold, I don't have to share the pot.

And about thinking I was way behind on the flop--yes I did, but I also thought I was still in this if the right cards come. So rather than worry about what others would do to me, instead I am thinking about what I can do to maximize my chances to win this titanic pot. <font color="blue"> </font>
Old 09-13-2004, 07:57 PM

this may seem like a rhetorical question, but with the Rosie O'donnell ass-sized pot, doesn't virtually everyone have the correct odds to see this thing to a showdown, almost no matter what happens in terms of betting/raising on the flop and thereafter? I think the flop raise does little more than feed Rosie another extra large vanilla milkshake. I'm in favor of going the distance for as cheap as possible
Old 09-13-2004, 08:04 PM

that guy with A and higher kicker (AT?) should be thank u not abusing you.

As far as the river, that is a horrible time to go for a check raise, the board is super scary and any high overpair is now scared.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:15 PM

Well, preflop and the flop are well-played, but I really do not like your turn bet. It is quite clear at this point that you are against an overpair. So, you need an A, 3 or the flush card. But your A outs might be tainted so lets say you have 13 outs which reduces to 13/33 = 2.5:1. So for this bet to show positive expectation you need all of your opponents to call. The fact that Button almost certainly has an overpair and will raise makes this unlikely. So check an call here.

The river is absolutely atrocious though. If all of the players had called on the turn then I would be worried of a 4 for a straight. But since you are heads with the Button he certainly did not make a straight. Sure AA is a possibility but every other overpair will call your bet here so it is clearly for value. Bet, and call a raise here.