Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 01:12 AM

Default Is Poker Stars Bonus too tough for beginners to clear?

Hello,

I've almost given up trying to clear a bonus on Poker Stars.

I need to get 1700 Frequent Player Points.

The .25/.50 and .50/1 Hold'em is too slow getting points. I make about 1/hour
The 1/2 makes about 30 points per hour But I lose about that many dollars when I play.

Do any other beginners find Stars too hard?

Any tips on clearing the stars bonus for beginners?

Thanks

Derick
Old 01-11-2005, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Is Poker Stars Bonus too tough for beginners to clear?

Hi Derick,

As I mentioned in an earlier post of mine, I passed on the Paradise bonus because after doing the calculations and making an honest assessment of my own abilities, I suspected that I would run into exactly the kind of difficulties that you are running into.

Instead, I took the $2.00 that Paradise gave to me, and after a couple of hours of play on the. .02/04 unraked table, it is now $2.26. I have noticed some changes in my play from that of play money tables, but it is incremental and not revolutionary. I am enjoying the game, and will move like the turtle - the turtle lives the longest. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If you are interested, I have found Texas Calculatem to be an excellent learning tool. Not only does it help me better understand the odds that I may hit my hand, but more importantly, it is giving me new insight into the possible opponent hands that I might be facing across the table. If you are looking for ways that you might improve your game, I would recommend this piece of software.

As for the bonuses .... well, do the calculations like I did, before you enter into any agreement and also read the agreement in the entirety. I was quite surprised at some of the stipulations in the Paradise agreement - e.g. minimum .25/.50 rake ( I would be slaughtered at this level at this time, $50 withdrawal minimum, one withdrawal/week, etc.

Good luck! Hoping you come out a winner!!

Rich
Old 01-11-2005, 05:26 AM

Poker Stars bonuses are a bit on the harder side to clear, especially for ML'ers.

If you're playing .5/1, you're better off first whoring the Party bonuses as they are the easiest to clear.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:35 AM

richrf,

Thanks for your input, I hope this doesn't sound overly critical.

Your stakes selection makes sense if you want to minimize loss.

I think we have to agree that we disagree about value of playing at high enough stakes that bonuses kick in. It seems like you've found that playing at lower levels works well for you. I on the other hand like to play at levels that give a bonus overlay to my admitedly poor play.

Good luck and I'm not saying that your system is wrong, just that it's not right for me.

Derick
Old 01-11-2005, 08:43 AM

Default Where should I go after I use up the party bonuses?

AncientPC,

Yes, The party skins are much easier! I'm all bonused out on the party skins. I just finished the Empire $200 reload bonus yesterday and I was looking for another bonus so I figured I'd try Stars. What is mistake!

Should I,

Should I go back to the crypto's bad software?
Beat up on Pacific with no poker tracker?
Slog through the good players for the Ultimate bonus that I still have?
Endure the *shudder* Absolute bonus?

Where is good for a bonused out bonus grabber?

Derick
Old 01-11-2005, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Where should I go after I use up the party bonuses?

New players should check out Homer's wonderful post:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...mp;sb=5&o=

Derick
Old 01-11-2005, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AncientPC,

Yes, The party skins are much easier! I'm all bonused out on the party skins. I just finished the Empire $200 reload bonus yesterday and I was looking for another bonus so I figured I'd try Stars. What is mistake!

Should I,

Derick

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have the bankroll for 1/2, I would hit up all the Crypto skins. At the very least I would deposit the minimum required amount to get the bonus / receive the PIN number for each Crypto skin because uncleared bonuses carry over to the next month.

If you hit up all Crypto skins (Caribbean Sun, Interpoker, Poker Plex, Total Bet, UK Betting, and William Hill) you will make approximately ~$300/month.

The Stars bonus clears at a rate of $5 raked:$1 bonus cleared, while UBet is $10 raked:$1 bonus cleared.

If you only play one or two tables, Absolute may be tolerable for the bonus. However you're probably better off playing Paradise and using the Granny code.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
.50/1 Hold'em is too slow getting points. I make about 1/hour

[/ QUOTE ]

If the highest you can play is .5/1, yes, it will take forever, but I think you'll get more than 1/hour.

The 1/2 on stars can be very tight and difficult to beat if you're just starting out.

Stars bonuses never expire, though, so you can deposit to receive the bonus, cash back out (48 hours later, I believe), and wait to clear it until you're ready for the 1/2.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
.50/1 Hold'em is too slow getting points. I make about 1/hour

[/ QUOTE ]

If the highest you can play is .5/1, yes, it will take forever, but I think you'll get more than 1/hour.

The 1/2 on stars can be very tight and difficult to beat if you're just starting out.

Stars bonuses never expire, though, so you can deposit to receive the bonus, cash back out (48 hours later, I believe), and wait to clear it until you're ready for the 1/2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the Tips! I've cashed out of Stars and looking for a new place to play...

... How is Doyle's place? I'd like to get the new Supersystem book. Is it worth it?

Derick
Old 01-11-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
AncientPC,

Should I,

Derick

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have the bankroll for 1/2, I would hit up all the Crypto skins. At the very least I would deposit the minimum required amount to get the bonus / receive the PIN number for each Crypto skin because uncleared bonuses carry over to the next month.

If you hit up all Crypto skins (Caribbean Sun, Interpoker, Poker Plex, Total Bet, UK Betting, and William Hill) you will make approximately ~$300/month.

The Stars bonus clears at a rate of $5 raked:$1 bonus cleared, while UBet is $10 raked:$1 bonus cleared.

If you only play one or two tables, Absolute may be tolerable for the bonus. However you're probably better off playing Paradise and using the Granny code.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the ideass AncientPC. I've been turned off the crypto sites since it seems there are lots of pro players there. I'm seeing VP$IP of around 20% in lots of the games. I'm going to give them another try. The bonuses make up for the bad software and good players.

Derick