Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 07:24 AM

Default who hates limping?

i attempted to post about this earlier, but it seems to have disappeared.

i want to know when you guys/gals think it is appropriate to limp. how does the structure of the game and table composition affect your decision to limp or not?
i've heard many times, "if it's not worth raising, it's not worth playing" but aren't there lots of times when you want to see the flop cheap against a lot of opponents? (small pocket pairs, connectors)
i'm pretty sure limping is more prevalent in limit rather than NL, and in tournaments it's a totally different animal as well.
any thoughts on this?
Old 11-17-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Re: who hates limping?

There is a big diff between limping and open limping...the last one makes me want to brush my teeth...
Old 11-17-2005, 11:53 AM

It is very rarely good at a table with good opponents; but at a table with bad players, it can be right though, as your limp makes them limp behind you with bad hands.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:08 PM

I'd love to limp in position or even call from the sb in my game, but I'm sure to get punished for it. Though I mix it up, right now I will try limping from late position with small pocket pairs, or hands like AQo,KJo (especially if there's at least one other limper before me). This way, if there's a moderate raise behind me, I can call. Why not just raise myself? I'd rather get in cheap with these hands and have more people in the pot if I hit it. Also, it's easier to let the hand go if the flop misses me because not much invested.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:52 PM

These are my rules for limping in limit:

1. When a game that is otherwise good but a little bit tight. Open-raising often tightens up games. When this has happened, you can usually loosen them up by limping with your hands that can handle multi-way action. I would also open-limp in MP, but not in LP.

You'd do this only if you preferred a looser game. Some people like tight games just fine.

2. In soft games, you can limp with a lot of speculative hands in EP. Nothing wrong with that. They can stand a raise if there are a lot of people in the pot, but you really don't know how many people there are going to be, so you just limp.

3. In games where people will read you for weakness and isolate you when you limp, there is something to be said for adopting a strategy where you limp-reraise with some hands limp-call with others, and open-raise with the rest. This allows you to play all the profitable hands from both EP and MP without being punished for limping, and you also disguise your holding. There used to be a really good page online with such a strategy laid out, but it appears to be gone.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:45 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
i've heard many times, "if it's not worth raising, it's not worth playing"

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoever said this is missing out on alot of chips.

It should be that if it's strong enough to limp, it should be able to withstand a raise behind it.

b
Old 11-17-2005, 08:57 PM

I think you should try to be cognizant of the difference between limping and open limping.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:45 PM

so what do you do with hands such as j,10s or q,js utg? certainly q,js is strong enough to play, but I can't say i'm comfortable open raising it utg.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:46 PM

I love limping. I think I love it more than raising preflop. Each is a beautiful unique snowflake.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so what do you do with hands such as j,10s or q,js utg? certainly q,js is strong enough to play, but I can't say i'm comfortable open raising it utg.

[/ QUOTE ]

full ring I fold these...6 max I fold these...I suck