Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 11:01 AM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!
Default Re: Being smart with computer security.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the whole thing is bs. First of all it was his MAIL ACCOUNT that was hacked not his computer. Via that they got his password for his account. So either he stored his pass there [why would anyone do that?] or they used the account to mail party for a new pass [this is why passwords are better sent via regular mail]. Hotmail been hacked several times before and should never be used for stuff like this. I do not feel sorry for him at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree that Hotmail is a lousy email service for secure transactions, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that I don't feel sorry for him. I think Party is to blame for sending out the info without requiring the answer to some security questions, and for not red-flagging the pattern of transactions following the password change (changing a password for a very active player, and then immediately setting out to drain the account?!?). Hopefully, they've learned a good lesson here.

[ QUOTE ]
As soon as somthing like this happens everyone talks about getting firewalls, antispywhere and stuff. It is not needed if you set up your computer correctly and do not do stupid things (like clicking on every file you get on email and so on).

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally untrue. It is quite possible to catch spyware or trojans simply by visiting a website or viewing HTML email (I have the latter turned off, and only activate it when I have to and I trust the source), and not even clicking on a link. My wife (who is not computer-literate; I have to explain every little thing to her three times, and then repeat the next time the issue comes up) visited some website (we're not even sure which one), and got something that tried to relay spam from our computer. Fortunately, the defenses I'd set up squelched that instantly. Without them, we might not have noticed for a long time; the trojan itself didn't trigger any virus alerts. And antivirus scanners are only as good as the most recent update; new threats require different defenses.

In any case, while the problem that prompted the OP was not necessarily something that would have been caught by a firewall or spyware scanner (though it could have been a keylogger inadvertently downloaded from somewhere), concern for network security is still valid. There are many hazards out there that are not as obvious and simple to avoid as you apparently think.

[ QUOTE ]
The only securitything worth having as far as I am conserned is a good virusscanner. I only use mine to scan downloaded files. Having a resident scanners just sucks the life of any computer and does nothing good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck.

-Mike
Old 10-06-2005, 11:04 AM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

[ QUOTE ]
Using a firewall, antivirus software, and spyware checking are all prudent.

So is securing your browser. An easy way to do this is to use Firefox with the default security settings. Let's not make this a holy war, folks, I have no grudge with Microsoft, I also know Mozilla has been caught with their pants down. But as far as making it easy for people by using a browser that by default is more secure, Firefox wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree; I should have thought to mention that, myself. Not to mention that Mozilla is a lot quicker to respond to newly discovered exploits than Microsoft.

-Mike
Old 10-06-2005, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, some people like you have over faith of those antispyware and firewalls. Did you know for example that some versions of ZoneAlarm is actually WORSE than having no firewall at all? This is beacuse some people found a way into your computer by using an exploit in the firewall itself, witch would not be there if it was not installed. It is always the most paranoid who uses all those crappy programs and then say "now my computer is safe", guess what, it is not.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, some people like you have over faith of those antispyware and firewalls.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I use multiple layers of security, and still am paranoid.

[ QUOTE ]
Did you know for example that some versions of ZoneAlarm is actually WORSE than having no firewall at all? This is beacuse some people found a way into your computer by using an exploit in the firewall itself, witch would not be there if it was not installed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I did know about that, and updated as soon as it was possible. I also have my computer sitting behind a router with all but essential ports blocked, so someone probing for computers running ZA would have had to get that past just to find me. That's what multiple layers is all about. Everything has flaws, and you can't rely on any one defense.

[ QUOTE ]
It is always the most paranoid who uses all those crappy programs and then say "now my computer is safe", guess what, it is not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never say, "now my computer is safe". My attitude is, it's as safe as I can make it, given what I know right now, and I try to find ways to make it safer.

I think your approach is more dangerous; you're relying on one layer of security, which you say you use only for programs you've downloaded, plus avoiding what you know to be risky behavior. But what if you visit a site you have no reason to think is unsafe, but has a hidden exploit embedded in its code? It's the problems you don't know about that may bite you someday. The only way to be completely safe is to stay off the Internet altogether, and nobody here is about to do that. Next best is to cover all the bases you can, and keep looking for more, which is what I do.

-Mike
Old 10-07-2005, 01:57 AM

How do we determine what ports are needed open? How do we close other ports? Thanks for the info and your help!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do we determine what ports are needed open? How do we close other ports? Thanks for the info and your help!

[/ QUOTE ]

A good place to start is Shields Up! This tests your current set up, tells you what ports are open, and offers some help as to what they're for. In short, you're best off having all ports closed by default, and only opening ones that specific applications need (applications which do require certain ports should say so somewhere in their documentation). What you're trying to prevent is a worm seeking open ports to infiltrate through, and Shields Up! will tell you how vulnerable you are.

As to how to close them, you'll need to see the documentation for your router, if you have one. If you don't use a router, a firewall will serve the same purpose (I use both); as I said, I use ZoneAlarm, but you could use Norton or the new Windows XP firewall (I tried the XP one a few months ago, but it was pretty buggy then, and I switched back to ZA).

There is a free version of ZoneAlarm, though I think the additional features offered by the commercial versions are worth it. The nice thing about it is, if something new happens (an application asks for Internet access, etc.), ZA will pop up a dialog box asking whether to allow or deny access, and give you the option of having it do the same thing every time the app repeats it. So, the first time you use IE, for example, you'll need to tell ZA to allow it, but if you check the box, it will remember that and not ask you again. Check out the Zone Labs web site for more info.

-Mike