Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 12-18-2005, 05:49 AM

Default LO8: completing the SB

Hey , what type of hands should you complete in the small blind that you wouldnt limp on the button? Right now, hands that i would complete in the SB but not limp on the button are probably stuff like KKxx, QQxx, JT98. I think 23xx and maybe A4xx w/alittlesomething should go here too.

Id guess one thing to consider is the field size, like if 4-5 limper had completed in front of you then A5xy probably isnt good. But if it was just one bad limper i think A5xy (w/ suited ace) would be a lot better.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:55 PM

Default Re: LO8: completing the SB

It depends on whether the Sb is 1/3,1/2,or2/3 the size of the BB.If it is 1/3,I would play more hands on the button than in the SB.If 1/2,about the same,I'm not sure.If the SB is 2/3 the size of the BB,I would throw in a chip with almost anything.As for types of hands,it would be wise to come in from the SB with hands that don't need to have position working for them.But I'm not sure what these hands are.Anybody ?
Old 12-18-2005, 11:58 PM

with 4 limpers in front of me I will complete just about any 2 since I will be getting gread odds to flop a set or 2p, straight, etc. If I miss the flop I can easily fold and have only lost 1/2 or 3/5 of a SB.

with 1 limper I will complete anything remotely decent since I can see the flop cheap and most O8 fish play terrible hands PF.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:44 PM

benwood: yea i forgot to specify the chip structure. i guess 1/2 would be fine, if people just answered for the structures at whatever limits they played it would be good too. as for hands hat dont need position working for them: i guess there are no specific hands, but with like KKxx on a k82 flop, we are pretty sure where we stand regardless of what position we're in. But with with some like 98xx on a 9s8s2x flop, we are in a less comfortable situation. i guess the more draws there are against our hand, the more we want position.

wackjob: it seems like everybody says the goal in omaha8 is to scoop though, so i dont think we should be aiming for 2 pair? and what about lows, do you do A5xy multiway? i think your 1 limper standards coluld be right.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:04 PM

SteveY: I like what you said,"The more draws there are against our hand,the more we would want position."I would add to this that I need position when I'm on a draw myself.This leads me to conclude that hands like KKxx & QQxx play better up front than hands like 23xx orA4xx.What do you think? Ben.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:28 PM

Yeah i think you are right. A4xx 23xx would be tough to play OOP. since you brought that up it would be especially tough to play those hands in a 3 handed pot OOP. At least with 4 or 5 way action we have lots of people w/ us so we might continue w/ the low draw. But if its 3way, generally we need a nice 2way hand to continue. That means we should still play relatively tight when its just one limper to us. dunno about multiway though. it would be realtively tough to play those hands but it could still be profitable.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what type of hands should you complete in the small blind that you wouldnt limp on the button?

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve - Interesting question.

Once you flop any hand, I think you'd rather be in position with it, but seeing the flop cheaply has some appeal with any marginal hand.

When you have the nuts, position doesn't seem as important as when you don't. Therefore, hands that often don't make the nuts seem more position dependent than hands that either give you a nut draw or miss the flop. (For example, for the most part, big pair hands either flop a set or they don't). Having position after you flop a set of kings doesn't seem as important as having position when it seems critical to know what your opponents will do before you act. (But, of course, you still like position, even with flopped top set).

However, even though some hands may be more position dependent than others, off-hand I can't think of any hand I'd play from the small blind (presumably for only half of a small bet) but wouldn't play from the button (presumably for a whole small bet).

[ QUOTE ]
Right now, hands that i would complete in the SB but not limp on the button are probably stuff like KKxx, QQxx, JT98. I think 23xx and maybe A4xx w/alittlesomething should go here too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of the hands you've mentioned, I think I'd rather have position with the 23XX and A4XX than with the others.

However, it matters what the XX is - and suitedness also matters.

For example, K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is quite a bit better as a starting hand than
K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

I'd be more inclined to play 24KKd than 38KKn, from either the small blind or the button. However, I don't think I'd be any more inclined to play it from the small blind than from the button.

Just my opinion.

Buzz
Old 12-20-2005, 01:06 PM

I probably complete 80% of my hands in the SB.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:05 PM

Wow. The differences of opinion on this game never cease to amaze me.

To me it depends more on the game then the cards. If good aggressive players are making it hard to play out of position I play almost nothing from the SB. If the game is loose passive and soft I'll complete with a lot of stuff, including the more trashy multiway hands.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:17 PM

I'm pretty tight in the SB, at least compared to what some of the replies have said. A4xx, 23xx, sometimes an A5 with something extra (the ace suited, or with a pair TT+), and 4 cards > T.

Of course this depends on how many people are in the pot already. If there's 4 people ahead of me I'll call what I mentioned above, but not any more. With only 1 limper I'll leave out the mediocre high hands.

1 EP limper = I play very tight.
1 Button limper = Obviously I'll play 23xx and A4xx since his range is also larger.

If it's folded to me in the SB I'll raise much more frequently and play very aggressive. After the hand is over I'll leave the table and find a better one.