Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Take the free card or bet?

Both opponents are extremely loose-passive. Seat 4 could have any crappy pair here; seat 6 checks here with two pairs but could also have some kind of draw. I’m pretty likely to get a free showdown if I bet (but there’s no guarantee). Note that spades are somewhat dead.

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.50 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

5th Street - (3.25 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (6.25 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___???
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___
Old 10-06-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Take the free card or bet?

I think I take the free card and see what the river brings, if you can get two BB in on the river when you hit, then you have effectively eliminated the lost money from the free card
Old 10-06-2005, 05:08 PM

I like a bet on 6th and check the river unimproved. I think you are more likely against draws then two pair.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:38 PM

I'm betting, given how passive your opponenets are. I think they need the free card a lot more than you do.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:21 PM

Bet 6th. One 9 dead means trips are unlikely (and he'd probably just bet them if he had them). He probably bets two pair here too, but maybe not like you say. Either way I'd bet since 1) he may have a speculative hand that you want to charge, 2) you're very likely beating the other guy, and you have outs against two pair (making bigger two pair or hitting your flush). I'm firing 6th again here and I don't think it's too close.

Jeff
Old 10-07-2005, 02:42 AM

We have 6 outs to a flush, 2 to high trips, and 7 to top two pair, plus there's a good chance we have the best hand right now. Seems like a pretty safe bet.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:49 AM

I favor betting.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:51 PM

bet here for sure, why would you check?? your hand is good enough to raise here if he had bet so why would you check??

Pat
Old 10-08-2005, 06:45 AM

I think Jeffage is right on the money, as usual. Also, these guys are holding some pretty dead cards. Bet, & allow these loose players to make some bad calls.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:02 PM

Bet 6th. Also, I'd think about check/raising 4th depending on those players' tendencies, but given the relative position of the upcards of the other players, betting out might be best.