Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Flopped set, did I play this right?

Don't know if it's right to bet out the set the way I did. I was still gonna get action from AKs, AAs and maybe 88.

I think this there's no need to slowplay here right?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (9 handed) converter

UTG+1 ($1000)
MP1 ($1234)
MP2 ($864)
MP3 ($411.75)
CO ($357.50)
Button ($1032)
SB ($1296.60)
BB ($510)
UTG ($686)

Preflop:
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $10, MP1 calls $10, MP2 calls $10, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $90</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $80, MP1 calls $80, MP2 calls $80.

Flop: ($370) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $140</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: $510

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. SB wins $510. </font>
Old 09-19-2005, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Flopped set, did I play this right?

im assuming you had QQ. and no, you didn't play this right. pot the flop. sets can lose, that board is fugly. i might even slightly overbet the flop. if he calls flop i'm definitely doing slight overbet of pot on blank turn.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:04 AM

After playing some more NL cash games, I've come to the conclusion that when you flop a monster, you should bet out strongly. It looks suspicious and as if you're trying to push them around. So, I bet the pot or around the pot here. You're stacking KQ, 88 AA and maybe even AK against a bad player. But I don't like the bet here, you're giving a flush draw/open ender way too good of odds to draw at and bust you. I guess a check-raise would work here too.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:08 AM

I bet around 300 on the flop. Maybe I'll try experimenting with different-sized bets some time, but for now, I pretty much always go 3/4-pot. Definitely don't check; you have a huge hand, but the turn can complete a lot of giant-killers.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:12 AM

I have to agree with my 2+2 brothers, that board is just begging you to make the drawing hands pay to beat you. You can have flush draws, open-ended straight draws, and even gut-shots that you have to charge a pretty penny. If the board wasn't so, as one erudite poster put it, "fugly", I'd check and then turn on the heat with a check raise. If it was checked behind and the turn was a blank, pop it there.
Those are precisely the types of flops that you can get sucked-out on, you make a pot-sized bet or even more than that, some calling-station calls, and hits his card on the turn. You gotta make them pay for it and pay dearly.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:03 AM

I had QQ btw.

Yeah I agree I did bet way too little. I was afraid If I bet around 300$ (pot-size) then I would cause AKs and AA to fold, and only get 88/KK to call me.

Also I was afraid that nobody would bet the flop. AND that if I did checkraise I would give my hand away.
But now I think maybe since there were 3 oponents somebody might have bet, and not giving the hand away is no excuse to give them proper odds to draw.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:05 AM

I think the ideal play would be to lead out betting around $240 and hope someone would pay me off.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But now I think maybe since there were 3 oponents somebody might have bet, and not giving the hand away is no excuse to give them proper odds to draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

this isn't really directed at you as it is your comment in general.

i see that alot - a "checkraise here defines my hand as the nuts," etc. etc.

Well... firstoff, it doesn't. secondoff, if it does, EXPLOIT THAT! I am constantly looking for profitable bluffing spots, whether CTB, leading into pfr, odd checkraises, etc.

if a play works regardless of your cards, and you're able to spot those "free pots," by all means take them.

BTW, without question if a c/r on THIS board means a set from you then wow, you must never c/r (which is fine, i suppose) or I'm missing something.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:23 AM

its very unlikely somebody limp called with AK/AA.

there are a multitude of drawing hands that are possible here though.

and I doubt AA/AK folds to a pot sized flop bet.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:56 AM

Instead of checking, I made a weak bet expecting to get raised. I wanted an AA or AK to raise me (because he also would be afraid of the draws) and then I can push before having to see the turn.

I thought that it's extremely likely for them to raise my weakish bet of not even half the pot.

But of course if I did get called I'd be in big trouble, and EV of betting a larger ammount is still better I guess.